Author Topic: Charles Haddon Redvers Gray  (Read 1059 times)

Offline peakoverload

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Haddon Redvers Gray
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 February 21 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Radcliff, can I ask where you found that image you posted? I would be interested to read a bit more if it's available online. I can't find a book called Tambimuttu 1915- 1983. I can find one called Tambimuttu : Bridge Between Two Worlds by Jane Williams which mentions him a few times but it doesn't seem to have that photo of him.
Johnson: London & Maidstone
Foster: Essex
Leach: London
Jennings, Camberwell, London
Gray: South London
Dashwood: London
Mason: Maidstone & London
Neville/Stiff: Hampshire & USA

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 February 21 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Archive digital online library I’m unsure how to post a link the book is memoirs of his life I shall be home soon and will post the full title for you
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline peakoverload

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 February 21 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Johnson: London & Maidstone
Foster: Essex
Leach: London
Jennings, Camberwell, London
Gray: South London
Dashwood: London
Mason: Maidstone & London
Neville/Stiff: Hampshire & USA

Offline Janemillinery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 February 22 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I believe I knew Redvers Gray as we called him then, back in the 1960s. He was an amazing character, living in the Woking area and my family knew him for a number of years.
Please pm me if you would like to get in touch. Too much personal information to post on public message board but i hopoe you will be interested in our family recollections of a truly wonderful, eccentric man

Offline Janemillinery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 February 22 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I was very interested to see your message about Redvers Gray. I discovered it because I was talking about him and was wondering what had happened to him so googled and came up with your message!

Redvers was a good friend of my Mother's in the 1960s when she owned an art gallery in Chertsey, Surrey. He was indeed an eccentric and memorable character!

Offline Janemillinery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 February 22 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I would love to be able to share some of mine and my family's memories of Redvers Gray. He was extremely interesting if a little formidable to a girl of ten or eleven as I then was! He was certainly living a form of vagrant life and had a very unconventional abode at that time!

My mother was what you would call a 'creative' and found Redvers fascinatiing.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 March 22 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I have just read your email to us,  I will reply a little later on to you. I have now emailed you back.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janemillinery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 April 22 12:05 BST (UK) »
Redvers Gray was a family friend during the 1960s. He lived in the Woking/Chertsey area in Surrey. we have a protrait of him done by an artist friend, and lots of anecdotes and information about him and his eccentric but fascinating life style.

Offline gothichughes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 23:33 BST (UK) »
So, I believe we can help each other with research about your CHRG...I've been looking for a Charles H. Gray in connection with the expulsion of Aleister Crowley from Italy in 1923 (see John Symonds, a reference both to a letter from Charles Gray and a subsequent, connected visit from Redvers Gray in 1962).

First, if I'm correct, CHRG (born in 1901) attended Oxford but was rusticated (temporarily sent down) for his participation with Arthur Reade in the Free Oxford Communist paper...he ran in the same circles as many at the Fitzroy, including Raoul Loveday, for whom he advocated with the father of fellow undergrad Peter Rodd (Ambassador in Rome) to have Crowley expelled. I'm currently seeking to publish my account of this fascinating episode as it relates to the author Richard Hughes (novelist).

If possible, please help me confirm that your CHRG attended Oxford? Any other information would be really helpful!!!