Author Topic: Foster/Goss Marriage - Eaton Bray - 26 October 1834  (Read 667 times)

Offline Steve Foster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Foster/Goss Marriage - Eaton Bray - 26 October 1834
« on: Wednesday 03 February 21 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Looking to see if any information given in the records about the FATHER of Richard Foster and, in particular, his occupation. Does anyone have any verified details?

(On basis of DNA evidence, I think the above Richard Foster was the brother of my 2nd Great Grandfather and the requested details would help to confirm this.)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Foster/Goss Marriage - Eaton Bray - 26 October 1834
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Fathers names were not shown on marriage entries prior to 1.7.1837 when Civil Registration was introduced
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Steve -- have you tried looking for baptisms of Richard Foster and your Gt Gt Grandfather to see if any come up of the right approximate age with the same father?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Richard Foster married Hannah Goss at Eaton Bray on 26 Oct 1834.
Hannah Goss was baptised Eaton Bray in 1816

Tracked Richard & Hannah & family in censuses 1841 - 1871. As per ages Richard was born 1811-1814. On 1841 census Richard was not born in Beds, 1851 census he was born Edlesborough Bucks, 1861 in London/Middlesex, 1871 in Eaton Bray Beds. Died 1874.
Cannot find a baptism for him in Bedfordshire in that time frame.

Cheers John 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Steve Foster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have extensive details on Richard and know pretty much everything except place of birth and parents. Bit of a long ramble about to follow but it will put everything into context.

1. My 2nd Great Grandfather John Foster b 1808. Claims to have been born in Stewkley, Bucks but I cannot find any record of his birth there. He married twice and on both marriage certificates his father is given as Richard Foster (or Forster), profession "Bookkeeper". John was in the army (98th Foot)  for many years. He married in Liverpool in 1839 while stationed there, and served in China during the 1st Opium War. On return to Britain he spent time in Eaton Bray where my great grandfather (John, b. 1849) was born. I can only assume he had family still in the area and that's why he moved there. As John was in the army and I have his enlistment and retirement documents, I have an accurate d.o.b. for him.

2. Richard Foster b. 1811 also claims to have been born in Buck/Beds but again there is no record. DNA evidence, while never conclusive, strongly points to John and Richard being brothers.

3. The only John, son of Richard, born in 1808 that I can find was born in St. Luke's Middlesex (now near Old St, London) . D.O.B. Looks correct but there is a massive splodge on the scanned online copies of the parish register right over where the date is recorded! Thanks to lockdown, I cannot make the short trip into central London to check the original   :(  John's parents in that record are Richard (...no profession given...) and Sarah.

4. What appears to be the same Richard and Sarah had another son, Richard, b 1811 in right month and also in St. Luke's. (For completeness, this Richard and Sarah had another son called Richard b. 1802 but died 1806 - not 100% sure of latter date - but explains why eldest surviving son not named after father). I cannot find any other offspring of theirs.

5. More circumstantial but still possibly relevant: I've tried tracking the marriage of the elder Richard and Sarah. There's a Richard Foster and Sarah Whately married 1800 in Hertfordshire. The younger Richard names one of his daughters as "Mary Ann Whately Foster", possibly after his own mother's family.

To sum up, I'm trying to get the evidence to conclusively join the John (1808) and Richard (1811) and I think what I need is the marriage record for the younger Richard that hopefully gives the profession of the elder Richard. If this also says "Bookkeeper". Then I think I've nailed it. Unfortunately, I cannot find a scanned copy online and the transcribed ones don't give detail.

Apologies for long explanation

Steve

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 February 21 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,

Just to say that I have seen a few public trees on Ancestry that have Richard Foster's baptism at St.Lukes Finsbury on 2 May 1811 to parents Richard & Sarah, these trees then claim Richard Foster, senior to have married Sarah Whitely on 30 Dec 1800 in Hertfordshire. these parents also baptise a son John also at Finsbury in 1807. Both baptisms are to found on Ancestry (source being London Metropolitan Archives). However I have no evidence to suggest that their Richard Foster junior is the one you are looking for.

Have you contacted any of these tree owners about your findings

Regards John   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Steve Foster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 February 21 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I had seen the other trees and they are based off the same info as that available to me, i.e. the transcribed records rather than the originals. At least, no one has an image of the original marriage entry. I do intend to go and track these entries down myself when circumstances permit but I was hoping someone had already done the work.

I did try mailing some of the other tree owners a while back. i don't suppose it hurts to try again.

Steve