Author Topic: Albert Edward Field b 1900 in Gosport  (Read 579 times)

Offline Tillyboo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Albert Edward Field b 1900 in Gosport
« on: Thursday 04 February 21 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just started revisiting my family tree and would love to find out more about Albert.
He was born in 1900 I believe and was the son of mt GG, Pricilla Williams/ Field then subsequently Brown.

She married Alberts father, also Albert Edward Field, in Portsea, Hampshire, in February 1897.
I cannot find anything about young Albert but he was the step brother of my grandmother, Agnes Brown and I am intrigued to find out what became of him ?

I think they lived at 68 Leesland Rd in 1911 but Albert may have lived in Reading at some point as an adult ?

This is all I know so any further info would be very interesting

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Field b 1900 in Gosport
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 21 02:31 GMT (UK) »
in 1901 he is recorded as Albert E.W.

FIELD, ALBERT  EDWARD WILLIAM
Mother's maiden surname: WILLIAMS     
GRO Reference: 1899  S Quarter in ALVERSTOKE  Volume 02B  Page 555

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 21 02:38 GMT (UK) »
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7853421

A copy of his Royal Marine Light Infantry record is free to downlaod if you register with the National Archives.

Debra  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 21 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Albert Edward William Field was actually born 21/6/1899, died Mar.1976 Droxford, Hampshire.

Someone has already mentioned Royal Marine connection - he married a widow Mary Mitchell Hendry aged 28, nee Marlow in 1919 when he was just 20 years of age, however he lied about his age which he gave as 25!!  Is definitely your man, Lance Corporal, Royal Marines, Light Infantry, gives address as 68 Leesland Road, Gosport, both parents named which confirms what you know.   Married 28/8/1919 Govan, Lanarkshire.   However, whilst she stated she was 28 she was actually 32 (born 14/1/1887) so 12 years older than him.

They appear on Glasgow electoral rolls from 1921-1926 and by 1939 family living in Droxford.   Scottish births don't show mothers maiden names but spotted a Mary Priscilla Field born 1921 in regn. district Plantation (Lanarkshire) and another possible child same district 1926 (not sure if male or female as listed as Leslie Elena (?).  Mary P Field married a Charles Harding in 1951 Droxford and her death registered as Mary Priscilla Harding born 12/10/1921, died Sept.1979 Southampton.   I believe that said daughter had an illeg. dau. of her own in 1938 (won't name as could still be living) - certainly her own mother was probably too old to have had a child in 1938. when she was 51!   Mary Field senior died Jun.qtr.1973 Droxford.

Don't think they ever lived in Berkshire - there was an AEW Field there with a wife Eleanor Jean Field but he was born 1924 Eastbourne, Sussex and married Eleanor there in 1944.

Your man and his family lived in Glasgow until 1926 and sometime between then and 1938 moved to Droxford, Hampshire where they remained until their deaths.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk