Author Topic: Got myself in a mess - Joseph Slack b1824 Cheshire  (Read 257 times)

Offline bethanjane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Got myself in a mess - Joseph Slack b1824 Cheshire
« on: Thursday 04 February 21 10:51 GMT (UK) »
So I am stuck, I have too much information and I’ve over complicated things and I can’t get unstuck.

My second great  Grandfather Joseph Slack
Born 1824 to Elizabeth Slack (only parent on baptism record)

Joseph married Martha Birchall (b.1826) in 1846 Cheshire, Thomas Hough was named as Joseph's father on marriage.

In the 1851 census there is a John Slack b. 1821 (servant), a Martha Birchall b.1828 (niece) living with a James Hough in Cheshire (1)
James Hough as far as my mediocre research tells me, is a brother to Thomas Hough.

There is also an 1851 census where Joseph Slack lived with Martha Slack and their daughter Elizabeth Slack (2) also in Cheshire
I know that census (2) is most likely to be the right one, I just can’t get over the  coincidence of  census (1)

Now add in some additional intrigue.
Elizabeth Slack b.1850 married in 1869 in Cheshire, she married Thomas Hough, Elizabeth’s father is John Slack.

Joseph Slack is a Tanner throughout the census (2) (1851/1861/1871) , so I really just think I’m over thinking it. It just seems too much a coincidence

Does anyone have any thoughts? How do I fix this mess I’ve got myself into?

Files with detail of above for info
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SZJk-LqkRmftD98pH-1BaCo2Jik5a_xU?usp=sharing
Slack - Aberystwyth/Wrexham
Brodigan - Aberystwyth/Germany
Dawson - Aberystwyth/North Wales
James - Aberystwyth
Day - Aberystwyth/London

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Got myself in a mess - Joseph Slack b1824 Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 21 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Slack and Martha Birchall marriage was in Nantwich.

1851 census for Joseph, Martha and Elizabeth Slack - all born Nantwich and living in Nantwich.  Occupation for Joseph = Tanner's Labourer

1851 census for Martha Birchall - born Upholland, Lancashire and living in Northenden, as was John Slack.

Added:   Joseph Slack born 1824 in Nantwich.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline bethanjane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Got myself in a mess - Joseph Slack b1824 Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 21 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Slack and Martha Birchall marriage was in Nantwich.

1851 census for Joseph, Martha and Elizabeth Slack - all born Nantwich and living in Nantwich.  Occupation for Joseph = Tanner's Labourer

1851 census for Martha Birchall - born Upholland, Lancashire and living in Northenden, as was John Slack.

So it was just a weird coincidence then? Sometimes you just need someone to tell you to stop...
Slack - Aberystwyth/Wrexham
Brodigan - Aberystwyth/Germany
Dawson - Aberystwyth/North Wales
James - Aberystwyth
Day - Aberystwyth/London