Author Topic: Bushey - Kelly's or similar abt 1878  (Read 499 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bushey - Kelly's or similar abt 1878
« on: Thursday 04 February 21 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Bushey / Bushey Heath -

In 1878 an ancestor's birth is recorded with her father as a Fishmonger.  There is a tale that he had a shop but this was a short-lived venture and he went bankrupt. 

Does anyone have access to the Kelly's for about 1875-1881 to look up Richard (Robert) Pipe and see if there is any reference to him in Bushey/ Bushey Heath.

I have a small book with R. Pipe Fishmonger Poulterer Bushey on the cover.

I also believe he was granted a Game Licence in 1876 in Bushey.

Thanks

Pam

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bushey - Kelly's or similar abt 1878
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 21 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam
There are 3 mentions of your Richard Pipe in Herts newspapers confirming that he was a fishmonger. From the Watford Observer March 19th 1877, Richard Pipe announces his takeover of the business of Fishmonger & Poulterer from Mr Smith of Bushey. There is also a corresponding announcement from Mr Edward Smith confirming the same.

Herts Advertiser 28 Aug 1880. Richard Pipe a Fishmonger of Bushey was summoned for non payment of rates to Colne Valley Water Company. At the time it would seem he didn't have the money to pay so an order of imprisonment or otherwise could not be enforced, case adjourned for 2 weeks.

Herts Advertiser 20 Dec 1887, Henry Charles Kirby & Richard Pipe Fishmonger of Merry Hill Lane  Bushey were charged with stealing 2 live fowls the property of Lawrence P Fowler. No evidence was offered against Pipe so he would be called as a witness against Kirby.

Hope this helps to confirm he is the Richard Pipe with wife Harriet in the census for 1881 even though his employment says servant. ::)

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 21 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic, that adds a bit more to our understanding of Richard's life - hadn't got the newspaper items.

He was always (so we are told) a "bit of a lad".

Pam

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 21 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for finding those reports.  Evidently Richard was caught receiving the two fowl, but the guy who stole them got 6 months imprisonment with hard labour - tough life then!

Still haven't been able to place where the Fishmonger's shop was - if anyone has a Kelly's does this give the address?  Bushey Heath is my guess, but could be on Clay Hill, Bushey.

Pam

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 February 21 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Pleased you found the newspaper reports, :) yes Richard got off lightly didn't he. ;) Lucky chap. As the family lived on Clay Hill in 1881 & the next door neighbour was a Baker I'm inclined to think that is where the Fishmongers was. Although at the trial in 87 Richard's address was Merry Hill Lane, perhaps they didn't live over the shop, so to speak. I see Edward Smith is listed as living High Street Bushey in 1861 & possibly 71 when he is a Fishmonger & Beer House Keeper which doesn't help with where the premises actually where situated. Ancestry has Kellys directory for 1884  I'll see if I can find anything from there.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 February 21 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam

Looked at Kelly's 1882 & 1886 directories for Bushey but unfortunately there was no mention of your Richard Pipe or a Fishmonger.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire