Author Topic: Death Aboard The S.S. Feronia  (Read 719 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Death Aboard The S.S. Feronia
« on: Thursday 04 February 21 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters, while trying to sort out a complicated family tree (3 marriages for one person, two marriages for a couple of others, all intermingled with children, stepchildren and relatives children all living in the same house, you need a degree to work it all out). Anyway I found the memorial inscription for the main person who is buried with her husband in Westoe (South Shields) cemerery.:
Cuthbert WARD died 9.12.1879 aged 57. Sarah relict of Cuthbert WARD born 12.9.1830 died 14.2.1900.
That's fine but also on the inscription is the following:
Richard GEDDES died on board the S.S.Feronia in the Red Sea 18.2.1899 aged 58
I have no idea who this person is. There is one Richard Geddes who was married in South Shields in 1871, he is the only one from 1860-1900 but the lady he married has no connection to this family.
Is there anyone out there who can tell me something about the S.S. Feronia and maybe a bit about the mysterious Mr Geddes.
Many thanks, Paul

Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Aboard The S.S. Feronia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 21 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Shields Daily Gazette 6th March 1893
Deaths
On board the SS Feronia in the Red Sea on 18th Ult, Captain Richard Geddes, eldest son of the late John Geddes of Hartlepool.
Obviously a year difference somewhere.
Added   a couple of Deaths at Sea record gives date as 18.02.1893
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:30 GMT (UK) »
His probate 1893 gives Sarah Jane Geddes as his wife.
On the 1891 census Richard and Sarah Jane appear to be boarding at 5 Wellington Terrace, south Shields ( address mentioned in death record and probate). Interestingly there is an Ethel Ward aged 14 in the same household.
It may be co incidence,but  Richard appears to have died between Cuthbert and Sarah Ward, so presumably buried then so you would think there was a connection.

Cathy

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 21 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I think they may be related , bit confused at the moment but 1881 census and 1901 Census suggest a Ward /Geddes connection.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q271-VP11

The 1901 has various relationships
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSCP-4WK

Cathy

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 February 21 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Cathy, many thanks for your excellent work and apologies for the late reply, time difference. While you were working away digging up information I was snug in bed sleeping!!!
I should have mentioned that Cuthbert Ward was also a Master Mariner, he died in 1879 but could well have sailed with Richard Geddes. Interestingly Cuthbert only appears on the 1841 census (living with parents), 51/61/71 census he is always absent, away on the ship.
Sarah Ward is the interesting one, 1st marriage she was Lamb, hence Mary Annie Lamb (daughter) on the 1891 & 1901 census and then remarried and became Ward with Ethel Ward (daughter), again on the 1891 & 1901 census.
I have managed to find the connection. The 1871 census has Sarah Ward (head - Cuthbert would have been at sea) with a household of 10 people 4 of them called Sarah!!!! but one is a Sarah A Gates (niece) from Lancashire and Richard married a Sarah Jane Gates born in Manchester (an A and a J can be similar) Oct-Dec 1871. All I now have to establish is which part of the family she came from.
Cathy, your information has been most valuable and has managed to fit the last couple of pieces of the puzzle together, thank you so much.
Regards
Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields