Author Topic: Royal Navy 1890s - 1920s  (Read 110 times)

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Navy 1890s - 1920s
« on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Another Navy question from me. I have two ancestors, one who finished his service in the navy in 1891 and one who finished his in the 1920s.

The man who left in 1891 moved to South Africa. The one who left in the 1920s moved to India. However, there aren't any passenger lists of them travelling to these countries. I have searched everywhere. I have found their wives travelling out at later dates, but not them.

My question is, was it possible to travel on board the naval ship you were serving on and get off at a port in a county you wanted to move to? Both these countries were part of the empire, so I was trying to figure out why they weren't on passenger lists if they used the navy ships they were on. Then again, they would have to go through immigration surely. 

Many thanks,

MJ

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy 1890s - 1920s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 21 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Their Naval service records will probably give a clue as to where they were discharged, I'd be surprised if it were abroad. Most ex-RN chaps had sought after skills (proven by their discharge documents) and would only have to walk down to the quayside in London, Liverpool, Glasgow, Southampton, etc, to sign on aboard a merchant ship bound for their port of choice, they would be able to work their passage as merchant seamen.   
cheers Pete

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 21 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AncestryPete. Yes, the man who went to South Africa used his skills in diving and building the Durban Harbour, but I cannot find a record for him travelling there, hence why I thought he may have hitched a lift with a naval ship haha :)

MJ

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 21 23:46 GMT (UK) »
For India it was possible to travel by train to the Mediterranean and board a ship there - which would mean no out-bound UK passenger list.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan