Author Topic: DNA - Do Not Ask - Sun Newspaper Article  (Read 1429 times)

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
DNA - Do Not Ask - Sun Newspaper Article
« on: Thursday 04 February 21 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Just a word of caution.....

Anyone thinking of talking a DNA test may be wise to read the centre spread in today's Sun newspaper entitled Do Not Ask, the story is about people who have taken DNA tests sometimes on a whim other times as gifts from others only to be "shocked after discovering dad wasn't her biological parent" others are finding out parents weren't who they thought they were some have siblings they knew nothing about, some do use these to trace their parents and are happy with the results, but just remember what starts out as a bit of fun looking to see if you have any Viking ancestors may not come back with the results you were expecting.
The truth may well be out there, but are you ready for the results it may uncover.
The piece finishes with experts saying "Some DNA experts believe people are opening up a Pandora's box by buying home testing kits for loved ones"

I don't want to rain on anyone's "fun" but please remember these kits can be dangerous and cause no end of upset.....

That's it speech over....back to the normal forms of research.

BourneGooner
Lock's of Rutland, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Goff's of Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire
Smith's - Gypsy descendants of Barthwell Smith

Offline pollycat76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DNA - Do Not Ask - Sun Newspaper Article
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 21 19:07 GMT (UK) »
My Ancestry results came back with a niece I had not heard of, I am pretty sure I have made a connection to one of my late siblings through locality at the time of her birth. My problem is should I keep this information to myself ?

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Part of the reason why home DNA tests are banned in France is the risk of "unexpected" results. The DNA companies don't make much of this.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes you wonder why you do FH if there is a small chance that due to a naughty ancestor, that some of them are not your real ancestors. DNA opening up wounds that our forebears thought they took to the grave. Extra marital dalliances, informal adoptions.

Say if you had a favourite great, great grandfather and he was in the army and travelled the world, but DNA revealed you shared many matches with the descendants of their male next door neighbour, and not the man you thought was an ancestor, thus meaning they are not one of the people responsible for your existence today due to them not being a blood ancestor.

I hope to get a figure on the rate out of 100% of NPE's took place prior to 1900.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I would hope anyone with a functioning brain would realize that DNA testing might throw up some surprises.  It shouldn't be considered "dangerous" to know the truth.  The truth may save your life if it gives you an accurate medical history.

As an adoptee, I consider my adopted family just as real as my biological family.  Both had input into who I am today.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 21 10:09 GMT (UK) »
True to say, when I was given one as a gift, it started a chain of events which has resulted in pain for me as the catalyst, but totally innocent bystander!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 February 21 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I’m not sure that “dangerous” is the best word to use.   :-\

Of course there can still be some unexpected discoveries using the “normal” methods of research.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 February 21 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes you wonder why you do FH if there is a small chance that due to a naughty ancestor, that some of them are not your real ancestors. DNA opening up wounds that our forebears thought they took to the grave. Extra marital dalliances, informal adoptions.

Say if you had a favourite great, great grandfather and he was in the army and travelled the world, but DNA revealed you shared many matches with the descendants of their male next door neighbour, and not the man you thought was an ancestor, thus meaning they are not one of the people responsible for your existence today due to them not being a blood ancestor.

I hope to get a figure on the rate out of 100% of NPE's took place prior to 1900.

What about the ones after 1900?  I have quite a few.  Some I knew of or suspected and a bunch I didn’t know about.  I’ve decided that I have one line who didn’t know where their beds were as I have so many matches answer that they don’t know someone at grandparent or great grandparents level.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:30 GMT (UK) »

What about the ones after 1900?  I have quite a few.  Some I knew of or suspected and a bunch I didn’t know about.  I’ve decided that I have one line who didn’t know where their beds were as I have so many matches answer that they don’t know someone at grandparent or great grandparents level.

Yes it did happen after 1900, wars often made infidelity increase, and I talk from a family experience during WW2.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain