Author Topic: Henry Williams of carlow  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Williams of carlow
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 February 21 23:01 GMT (UK) »
What were the names of female children of Sarah & Margaret which may help identify a likely name for their mother?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 February 21 23:07 GMT (UK) »
See a Margaret Summers baptised same parish (Borris) 1st April 1825.
All just conjecture but maybe worth a look.
How old was Margaret Rigby nee Summers on census ?
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Loveancestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 February 21 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie, margarets daughters were Catherine and Mary Ellen, and Sarah’s were Hannah (can discount this as this was paternal nans name) Mary agnes and ellen. So Catherine is a high possibility but then Mary/ellen is too!

Offline Loveancestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 February 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Margaret summers was born in 1834 according to census?

Offline Loveancestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 February 21 12:02 GMT (UK) »
From doing some digging on other ancestry trees and dna links, I have found a thomas Williams in Carlow born 1843. I have spoke to his descendant and it is believed he stayed in the area until he died. He married a Margaret kavanagh. They had children Catherine, Henry, John, Thomas and George. Some of these children moved to Chicago. So it is of interest that Sarah’s daughter Mary agnes, I found a passenger list of her moving to Chicago in the 1890s. The form said to be with her cousin Henry Williams. I am convinced this is thomas and Margaret’s son as it all fits!

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 February 21 13:17 GMT (UK) »
From doing some digging on other ancestry trees and dna links, I have found a thomas Williams in Carlow born 1843. I have spoke to his descendant and it is believed he stayed in the area until he died. He married a Margaret kavanagh. They had children Catherine, Henry, John, Thomas and George. Some of these children moved to Chicago. So it is of interest that Sarah’s daughter Mary agnes, I found a passenger list of her moving to Chicago in the 1890s. The form said to be with her cousin Henry Williams. I am convinced this is thomas and Margaret’s son as it all fits!

Looking at Irish civil records it looks likely that the above mentioned family ie Thomas Williams and Margaret Kavanagh,lived in Borris Parish as address for George and Thomas birth is Rosdillig, Borris.
No sign of their marriage although marriage of a Thomas Williams to a Catherine Kavanagh on 25th October 1858 in Borris with witnesses Moses Nolan and Sarah Williams.

Only possible death of a Thomas Williams I could find that might fit is below.Died 25th December 1911 aged 73 at Coshill,Borris.A labourer ,married and reported by his niece Catherine Murphy.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05372/4498469.pdf

Possible marriage of the parents of Catherine Murphy mentioned above.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1882/10969/8009689a.pdf

Address for Kate is Knocksquire Borris.See a death for a Margaret Williams Knocksquire Borris in 1883 aged 53 and reported by her son George Williams.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06352/4822369.pdf

None of that really answers your question re.Henry Williams though.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 February 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Address for Kate is Knocksquire Borris.See a death for a Margaret Williams Knocksquire Borris in 1883 aged 53 and reported by her son George Williams.

Just adding a link-
Knocksquire townland is in the Civil Parish of Kiltennell.
https://www.townlands.ie/carlow/idrone-east/kiltennell/killedmond/knocksquire/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Loveancestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 February 21 15:02 GMT (UK) »
This is all very interesting Thankyou! I find it so hard to research Irish records don’t this is really helpful. I will take a look in more detail later  :)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 February 21 16:48 GMT (UK) »
This is all very interesting Thankyou! I find it so hard to research Irish records don’t this is really helpful. I will take a look in more detail later  :)
For Irish records the civil site is pretty good.Carlow reg. district covers most of Co. Carlow but a few could be either Baltinglass District (north east Carlow) or New Ross District (south Carlow)

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

It only starts in 1864 so for anything before that you are relying on parish records.

What I do is register for free account on findmypast.ie
Search gives you transcriptions for baptisms and marriages available on NLI.ie registers with link to actual Parish register.
Saves poring over pages of often unreadable entry's.

https://registers.nli.ie/
https://www.findmypast.ie/

Transcriptions are not always 100% but cuts down on a good bit of searching at times.