Author Topic: Jewish/Ukranian/Russian Surnames help  (Read 2631 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish/Ukranian/Russian Surnames help
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 May 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

I hope you're enjoying the bank holiday, although I gather the weather is pretty awful. It's only in the low 30s here in Dubai  :)

You've done incredibly well to track down all those Ukrainian records. But then I suppose it's similar in researching German-Jewish ancestry, in that JG only has a tiny portion of all the records that are available.

Alexander Beider is indeed the recognised expert on Jewish names, but I'm still somewhat surprised that he can suggest a specific location for a patronymic surname. He's basically suggesting that the given name Nesanel was more common in Lithuania than other parts of the Russian Empire. I don't see why it would be.

I've seen your post to JG; it will be interesting to see the responses. As I clarified earlier, the one brother named on the MA was Moshe-Leib (a mixed lineage Hebrew-Yiddish double name). Traditional Jewish naming practice would mean that he had most probably been given the names of two different deceased ancestors.

I should also point out in passing that brother(s) are named on the marriage authorisation for the potential implementation of the practice of yibum, whereby if a man dies without children it is the obligation of his eldest unmarried brother to marry the widow. The practice had actually been banned in Ashkenazi communities for many hundreds of years, although it persisted amongst the Sephardi.

I cannot think of a valid reason, why Moshe-Leib would anglicise his name to Leon Shaul. Something like Morris Lewis/Louis or Morris Leon would not have been unusual. I can speculate that Leon's original Jewish name was Leib-Shoel/Shoyel, a mixed lineage Yiddish-Hebrew double name. As long as the Leib after whom he had been named was not the same deceased ancestor commemorated in Moshe-Leib, then the name combinations were in keeping with naming traditions.

It's a bit frustrating that Leon married out, so there are no readily available Hebrew records.

Moisey-Nesanel, a mixed lineage Hebrew-Hebrew double name, would appear to be another man altogether.

The other question that poses itself is, was it common to name only when brother on a MA, when the groom had several?

Regards,

Justin

Offline JEFROIS_N

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish/Ukranian/Russian Surnames help
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 May 22 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there i have just came across this search for such an unusual name NESANELIS, mostly because its a family name.

I habe seen that Neil you have been researching this name and origins.

It would be really interesting to understand what distant relatives i might have in the UK, and what maybe my distant Nesanelis relatives have spread across the world.

My knowledge is that NESANELIS is Ukrainian from Kharkiv, but also i know the name has Lithuanian origins where the name could have been NESANELAS, as my NESANELIS relatives came from Lithuania.

It was be super interesting if some distant relatives moved to the UK in 1900.
Feel free to respond :)