Author Topic: Photo damage from wood/coal smoke  (Read 272 times)

Offline wivell6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo damage from wood/coal smoke
« on: Friday 05 February 21 06:44 GMT (UK) »
I have a family photo from about 1927. It was always in a frame, but my uncle lived alone and always burned an old coal or wood stove. The picture wasn't burnt but has soot I think around it. I want to know if I can clean it, or if it can be cleaned and restored. It's in good shape other than that.

Thanks, Kelly

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo damage from wood/coal smoke
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 21 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly and welcome to Rootschat, I wouldn't attempt to clean the actually photo except to brush away any dirt with a soft brush, makeup of shaving brush would do, as long as you don't wet it as you could take off the coating. If you could scan it in colour at a resolution of 300dpi and in colour mode we can have a go at it for you.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline wivell6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 21 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Ok I’ll give that a go if I can. It’s quite big so not sure I can scan it.  :o

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 21 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If it's too big for your scanner, try scanning in two or more pieces with overlaps. I've done this for A2 up.photos and managed to match up. Also, maybe take a photo of it so that we can see what it should look like.

If all else fails a good photo of it might be the way to go.*

Gadget

*Add  Make sure that the camera and the photo are as parallel as possible if you have to do this.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***