Author Topic: Would a step parent ever appear as a parent on a church marriage record?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Would a step parent ever appear as a parent on a church marriage record?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 February 21 19:04 GMT (UK) »

I am unable to trace any of the other children though, and would be interested if anyone can find them around 1901 or 1900. 
Johanna b1860.  (surviving bapt rec)
John, born before 1863?  (reported his father's death in 1884)
Catherine b1866. 
Michael b1872.
Jeremiah b1875
Timothy b1882 (surviving bapt rec)

I believe that Ellen Breen who seems to appear on both Johanna and Timothy's baptism records was some kind of relative to Catherine, though I am not sure what kind.

What is curious is I believe that Ellen's daughter Bridget married Catherine's son Daniel in 1904 in Manchester, NH, USA.  (it reads that Bridget's father was Patrick, not Bart, but I believe it is in reference to the same man).  But I have not viewed the church record for this marriage to see if it has any dispensation.

Joanna may have been Jane and Jeremiah Dermot or Darby.
My first thought would be that Ellen may have been a cousin of some degree.
Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 February 21 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Ellen Breen/Brien is a sponsor to some baptisms as mentioned  earlier.

Is this Catherine in 1911?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Killorglin/Tullig_More/289720/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 February 21 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Unless the Vicar personally knew the marrying couple whatever names supplied would be on the Marriage Certificate.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 February 21 19:39 GMT (UK) »
BarryD,

Thanks, I was thinking something like that.

Maiden Stone,

I've sometimes wondered if the two names Breen and Brien are connected.  I think it is easy to mistake Breen for Brien, when is written.  I wonder, if anyone might have had their name changed that way.

Heywood,

Wow, thanks!  I can't believe that I missed that.  And that would be her son John Donoghue too, who I also missed.  Noticed the initial: not J, but T.  T for Timothy, his father.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 February 21 19:49 GMT (UK) »

Maiden Stone,
I've sometimes wondered if the two names Breen and Brien are connected.  I think it is easy to mistake Breen for Brien, when is written.  I wonder, if anyone might have had their name changed that way.

Yes. Look up either surname on Irish Ancestors Wizard. https://www.johngrenham.com and you'll see the same list of variations + geographical distribution. Click "Surnames" tab at top of home page.
Cowban

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 February 21 19:59 GMT (UK) »
John Donoghue married Mary Foley in 1892 in Glencar.  The civil marriage record confirms that his father was Timothy.

Offline mybreenhorganfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 November 21 04:53 GMT (UK) »
there well I am a Descendant of, Catherine Donoghue nee Breen, who first married Timothy Donoghue I just was looking for Catherine Donoghue s death I knew that Timothy died about 1885, Tullig, see how I'm related to Catherine, through DNA matches, have, people descendants of family of these people, Donoghue s Cahillane s Touhy s, and Grady's, from Laharan, Rangue, Tullig, Killorglin, I just found out I knew were my great great grandfather s family were from thanks to family tree s and DNA, so yes, Ellen Cahillane nee Breen was a Sister, and her children 3 them married Shea's and Grady, and son Daniel Donoghue married 1st cousin Bridget Cahillane, who died giving birth to Robert Donoghue 1909, Lynn, Massachusetts, they also had brother s that is Kate and Ellen Breen, Patrick, John, Michael and James, Michael and James never married, but John Jr, my g.g grandfather did, he married Bridget Connor, 1872, Ballymacelligott, and ok migrated to New Zealand, 1875, with son Michael who died on the Rakaia age 1, they living in Maglass, Castleisland, see I'm fearly sure got like 15 matches all add up that Kate, Ellen and John Breen must be siblings, few things now why could not find John Before 1872, is because he was not from Ballymacelligott/Castleisland, see that why could not find any family before Done my DNA, I was looking for my family in Castleisland/Ballymacelligott, about 15 years, that why, on John and Bridget Breen s marriage certificate says John Breen Laborer, full age, father John Breen, Laborer, Desceset

Offline mybreenhorganfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 November 21 05:06 GMT (UK) »
And says, married Widower Bridget Horgan, nee Cahill, now that is a mystery about the Cahill/Connor connection, anyway, on John's death certificate says John Breen, 28 May 1922, Lorneville, Southland, NZ, age 83 of Dipton, NZ, late of Ireland, married, blank, children, 1 male, parents John and Mary Breen, nee Connor, see there few errors there, that why took so long figure out is the right John Breen, because he moved from from Town to Town, and was buried as John O'Brien, and always had Aliases, and no one in the family knew his whereabouts, so I thought his parents may been John Breen and Mary White, because found a baptism of John Breen, baptism 1842, now im sure John's parents were John Breen and Mary Sugrue, interesting someone mentioned the Sugrue s I just looking at Civil records of John and Mary Breen, found John Breen Sr died June 1864, age 58, Laharan, Killorglin, Mary Breen died 1894, Rangue, Killorglin I'm guessing these people are distant relative s of mine

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 April 22 05:42 BST (UK) »
 mybreenhorganfamily,

I have just noticed your post now.

I believe that that you have found John Breen's death cert. (as in the father of Catherine, who later married Tim Donoghue). That is, the John who died in 1864, age 58 in Laharan, Killorglin, Co. Kerry.  I'd be curious if you could provide other details such as his profession, and who reported the death, and what cause of death was mentioned.

That was a good find. One can suppose John was born in about 1805 or 1806.

A John Breen was bapt. 10 July 1805, in Killeentierna Parish (no townland given)
Parents: Denis Breen and Mary McCarthy

It might be the same guy.  Killeentierna Parish is a slight distance from Killorglin Parish, where he had most of his children and died, but it is right next door to Firies  (also called Mohaliff) Parish, where he was married, and where Catherine was born.

Furthermore, the name Denis Breen also appears in Laharan, Killorglin, where most of John's children were born.  I don't know whether that could be a brother, cousin, or even his father, assuming his father remarried.  Though I don't believe that it is his father.