Author Topic: Plate layers  (Read 990 times)

Offline Mr.Brown.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Plate layers
« on: Friday 05 February 21 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Hope everyone is keeping well.
I am wondering if there is a list of Platelayers employed on Anglesey around 1890-1900.
Its the only reference I have for my GGrandfather named as Robert Griffith  - father of my Grandfather (William Hugh Griffith) and his two siblings but  all 3 born out of marriage between 1894-1897 but their mother was also called Griffith and he is not on any census and she 're'married in 1900 so he may have been dead then - unless she just gave up on him.....
He is marked a deceased in 1925 on WHG's marriage cert but with him being illegitimate who knows whether it is correct info or not.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Gordon.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Plate layers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 21 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Ah if he and his two siblings were born out of marriage (nicely put by the way) then one suggestion would be the name Robert Griffith was made up.

Do you happen to know if either of his other siblings named Robert as father when/if they married? 

Obviously someone was the father but only the mother would know that. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Mr.Brown.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 February 21 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thanks for reply, unfortunately his sister died at age 12 & brother died at 21 in WW1 with no known marriage....WHG was wounded twice & discharged with a pension.
Like you say his fathers name and occupation may be made up to avoid the 'embarrassment' of illegitimacy but its the only thing I have to go on, he was obviously at or around Bethel area when the children were conceived .....assuming they were all his....and the railway may have a list of employees but I dont know where to look.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 21 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 21 10:26 GMT (UK) »
You say he isn't on any census but are there any possible Robert Griffith, perhaps with different occupations that made you rule them out  :-\

If he did exist then he should be somewhere in 1891 census.

Did mother say she was a spinster on her marriage in 1900?  Assume she was single on the 1891 census before the children were born. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Mr.Brown.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 February 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I meant not on any census that the children were on.
The mother is spinster on her marriage in 1900 and the (very) likely census for her in 1891 she is 'S' & a servant.
I have spent many hours going through census for name & trade variations but nothing likely comes up & I have checked for a death on the D.Wilson CD for both Griffith & Griffiths and still nothing, though he could have died elsewhere ...there are so many potential variables of every detail that the Platelayer list is the only thing I thought may throw something up...I have even bought a 'few' Robert Griffith deaths in Carnarvon where his son WHG worked in case there could be a link there but just wasting more money....

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 February 21 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

The railways on Anglesey were part of the LNWR by that time. It maybe worth contacting the LNWR society to see what employee records they have.

Regards

Jon

Offline Mr.Brown.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 February 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jon - that seems like a good place to look - learned something already - Platelayers worked for the Permanent Way Department....

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 February 21 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi mr brown

Plate layers are basic the guys who laid the track. It's derives from the time when the railways were called plateways and were built for use by the collieries to move coal to either the staithes on the river or to a canal basin for onward transportation by boat.

Regards

Jon