Author Topic: Help with deciphering records  (Read 500 times)

Offline tonyfinn18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with deciphering records
« on: Friday 05 February 21 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Please can some tell me what this means I think it says gunner 20th light AA 166 troop RA.

I think it's a regiment from ww2?

If I'm correct how can I find more about this service records? Its attached to the 1939 register for my ancestor john Anthony. Born c1903

Help much appreciated.

Tony

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 21 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Military records post 1920 are held by the MOD and as such only the person themselves or if they have died those who are next in line so children or wife (if she still lives) can apply for them.  Getting them are not cheap.  The alternative would be to contact the regimental museum or the regiment itself if they dont have a museum and see what they can help you with but they may direct you to the MOD
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline tonyfinn18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 21 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

Would the data on the record be enough to find the correct person from within the MOD records?

Tony

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 21 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Military records post 1920 are held by the MOD and as such only the person themselves or if they have died those who are next in line so children or wife (if she still lives) can apply for them.  Getting them are not cheap.  The alternative would be to contact the regimental museum or the regiment itself if they dont have a museum and see what they can help you with but they may direct you to the MOD

Unrelated people can apply; I applied for my mother's first husband's service record. I perhaps got slightly limited information but as I had b/m/d certs etc. I had his personal details anyway.

To apply: www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records   You will need his service number or his date of birth and a copy of his death certificate (I think....been a while since I applied)

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 February 21 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Interesting because when we wanted my grandfathers they refused me and my mum and aunt had to apply.  They stated closest living family member only
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 February 21 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Probably because they were the closest family.

I could find no close family for mum's first husband, added a note with the forms (some died in the bombing of London). I was then telephoned by someone from the department and I told them the same; I had no problem getting his record.....sheets and sheets of detail.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 February 21 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Loose end.  Your interpretation of his regiment as 20 Light Anti Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery (in UK Western Command in Sep 1939, NW Europe from Jun 1944) is correct but unfortunately doesn't help at all in obtaining his record, the system doesn't ask you to identify his regiment .

Follow Nanny Jan's advice in the post yesterday at 1903, check out the application form carefully, it has a detailed explanation of what they regard as next of kin.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 February 21 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Interesting because when we wanted my grandfathers they refused me and my mum and aunt had to apply.  They stated closest living family member only

The 25 year rule applies for non-NoK

In recognition of the duty of care owed to the family of the deceased subject, for a period of 25 years following the date of death of the service person, the MOD will (if held) disclose:

surname
    forename
    rank
    service number
    regiment/corps
    place of birth
    date of death where this occurred in service
    the date an individual joined the service
    the date of leaving
    good conduct medals (for example, Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM)), any orders of chivalry and gallantry medals (decorations of valour) awarded, some of which may have been announced in the London Gazette.

After the 25 year period, MOD will also disclose the additional information (if held) below:

the units in which he/she served
    the dates of this service and the locations of those units
    the ranks in which the service was carried out and details of campaign medals awarded.

Within the 25 year period, where the consent of the immediate next of kin has been given, the additional information above will be released to a third party applicant.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Offline tonyfinn18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 February 21 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this.

If anyone can help find a regiment number or any other records concerning him, it would be a great help.

Many thanks.

Tony

Loose end.  Your interpretation of his regiment as 20 Light Anti Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery (in UK Western Command in Sep 1939, NW Europe from Jun 1944) is correct but unfortunately doesn't help at all in obtaining his record, the system doesn't ask you to identify his regiment .

Follow Nanny Jan's advice in the post yesterday at 1903, check out the application form carefully, it has a detailed explanation of what they regard as next of kin.

MaxD