Author Topic: William Reynolds Blogg, born in Suffolk - help finding his family  (Read 1170 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Re: William Reynolds Blogg, born in Suffolk - help finding his family
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 February 21 23:12 GMT (UK) »
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 February 21 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Using the wills in this thread, I've managed to piece together a little family tree.

Samuel Blogg senior (farmer of 208 acres at Creeting St Olaves), died 8 Feb 1831, aged 84 yrs.
Samuel married Mary Grimsby (d.1834) in 1778 in Laxfield, Suffolk.

Samuel and Mary had several children, including Sarah, John, Samuel, William and Lucy.
These names are all from the wills but I can't seem to find any baptism records for these children. The child William could be my William Reynolds Blogg but there's no way to prove it at the moment  ???

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 February 21 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Holly

The Suffolk FHS has transcribed the baptisms of these children of Samuel and Mary Blogg at Laxfield (Hoxne Deanery):

1786 Feb. 7 Samuel
1787 June 14 William Reynolds
1788 Aug. 31 John
1790 Nov. 28 Sarah Dorothy (born 26 Oct.)
1791 Oct. 30 Ann
1794 April 25 Ebden (private baptism; since died)

Mary's maiden name, Grimsby, is given in all but the 1786 entry.

Ann was buried at Laxfield on 13 Nov. 1791 and Ebden on 27 Oct. 1794.

David

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 February 21 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Dorothy Blagg m William Norman 4 Feb 1812 in Creeting Saint Olave, so could be the witness at William's wedding

Lucy b. 1796 to Samuel and Mary Grimsby Blogg, Creeting All Saints, All Saints with St Olave, Suffolk

Helen

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 February 21 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for this information, it looks like Sarah married William Norman of 'Mondham in Norfolk' and they had 3 children; Elinor (born 1816), Frederick (b.1818) and Ann Hester (b.1820). Sarah died aged 31yrs in 1822.

The sibling called Lucy is referenced in one of the wills - she married Thomas Arnold on 4th June 1818 at Creeting St Mary, Suffolk.

Is it usual for Suffolk baptisms to not be on such sites as Ancestry/Familysearch? I've never had to search the county before.
I've tried looking for the baptisms of Samuel Blogg (senior) born about 1747, and his wife Mary Grimsby, who died in 1834. I've been unable to locate them, which makes linking John Reynolds to the family much harder. John Reynolds describes Mary Grimsby (wife of Samuel Blogg) as his kinswoman, so they must be related in some way - possibly through John Reynolds's wife Sarah Grimsby.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Parish registers from the north-eastern part of Suffolk (Lothingland Deanery) held by the Norfolk Record Office can be accessed free of charge at FamilySearch.org. The Suffolk Record Office's digitization project is currently "on hold" so we don't know when or how it will make images available online.

FreeREG transcripts now exceed 300,000 Suffolk records.

Findmypast has much of the Suffolk Family History Society's data, though often without some of the useful transcribed details. Downloads or CDs can be purchased from the Society and there is also a search service, including parishes not yet published, but coverage is still incomplete, particularly for the early registers.

FamilySearch has indexed images from Thorpe St Andrew (alias Thorpe-next-Norwich, Bishop's Thorpe or Thorpe Episcopi) in Norfolk, where Samuel BLOGG of Creeting, Suffolk, was buried on 13 Feb. 1831 aged "84" (entry 320) and possibly baptized on 5 March 1754, a son of Samuel and Anne, having been born in "1749" (image 19). Samuel BLOGG married "Anna" [possibly the Latin form of Anne] EBDEN at Hethel, Norfolk, in 1734 (FreeREG).

John GRIMSBY married Susan CROWFOOT by licence at Beccles, Suffolk, in 1747. Both were single and of that parish. Their elder children were christened there:
1749 John
1750 Sarah
1752 Deborah

A Thomas GRIMSBY was buried at Beccles in 1750 and Sarah GRIMSBY (daughter of John & Susan) in 1751.

Other children of John & Susan GRIMSBY were baptized at Laxfield [where many were buried]:
1754 Susan [d. 1788: daughter of widow Susan née CROWFOOT]
1756 Joseph [d. 1756]
1757 Mary
1758 Elizabeth [d. 1759]
1759 William Crowfoot
1760 Martha [d. 1763]
1761 Dorothy Reynolds [d. 1763]
1763 Ann Syre [d. 1763]
1764 Sarah (GRIMSBEY)
1765 Christian (daughter)

Also buried at Laxfield:
1770 John GRIMSBY
1789 William Crowfoot GRIMSBY son of William Crowfoot GRIMSBY & Mary Eleanor née SUTTON
1792 Sarah daughter of William Crowfoot GRIMSBY & Mary née SUTTON
1796 Susan widow of John GRIMSBY née CROWFOOT aged 70

And at Needham Market (Independent / Congregational Chapel):
1820 grocer & draper William Crowfoot GRIMSBEY of Stowmarket (Deacon of this church)
1833 Mary E. widow of William Crowfoot GRIMSBY of Stowmarket

William's will was proved in 1823 in the PCC.

David