Author Topic: Diary - Saturday 6th February  (Read 2211 times)

guest141721

Re: Diary - Saturday 6th February
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 February 21 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely, and tbh, it's during the night that things usually happen.
I've had a few early hours emergencies with high temps, low Sats, laboured breathing and delirium.

And how about OH?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

guest141721

« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 February 21 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Saturday was a pretty emotional day for us but more of that later. Woke up to a glorious sunny, but quite cold morning - minus 13 Celsius ( Fahrenheit). Decided for some unkmown reason on breakfast in bed. I can’t hoenstly remember when we last did that, both OH and I hate crumbs in the bed linen.
Anyway when OH called me I went upstairs detached and emptied her night bags which are attached to her ordinary day bags and after propping her up and getting her comfy in bed so she couldn’t topple over went back down prepared breakfast, boiled eggs, toast, marmalade and tea and took it up on a tray. Once we were finished with surprisingly little mess helped OH into her chair and into the bathroom. Emptied and cleaned her day bags. Normally on Saturday I’d remove them, clean the stoma and the skin round them and attach new bags. But as the bags and the area round the stoma looked OK with no leakage I decided to wait until Monday morning when I’ll clean both stoma and change the bags before taking her to hospital. Helped OH get showered and dressed and took her downstairs. Yes we live in a two storey house which makes things a bit more complicated but we’d moved in here only a year before OH’s accident where she lost her legs, arm and hand so we had the house made wheelchair accessible and have never moved.

Wrapped her up warm and took her outside as usual. The sun is now just high enough to peep over the house opposite for a few hours if we sit in the corner closest to our garage so we had coffee there. Also gives OH an excuse for staying outside longer so she can get more ”fresh air” as she calls it. After morning coffee at about half eleven I got her into the car and we drove over to our eldest daughter. Our three eldest grandchildren were there - her two and our middle daughter’s oldest and our middle daughter and partner were going to be there with our youngest grandchild to pick their daughter up so we took advantage of them all being in one place. As the weather was sunny we were able to sit outside well wrapped up as the temperature was still minus 6 Celsius.

Everything got a bit overwhelming and emotional with both daughters crying when they realised that this was the last time OH would ”see” them and the grandchildren. We all got a bit teared up including me. This will be something different to what they’ve been used to. OH became an amputee not long after our eldest was born and our two younger children were born after that so for them mum has always been an amputee and in a chair but as I said this is a completely new ball game. Anyway we had lunch and afternoon coffee there before saying goodbye and driving home before it got dark as I don’t like driving down country roads in the dark any more. Apart from anything else I don’t relish hitting any wildlife like roe deer, moose or wild boar.

Once home I made an evening meal of gratinated penne pasta, broccoli, blue cheese and diced kassler which we washed down with some white wine. Kassler is a joint of pork loin that’s cured and slightly smoked. Common enough in Germany and here but not so usual in England from what I’ve been able to find out. I guess the nearest English equivalent would be gammon.

After I’d cleared up we settled down on the couch and watched the first round of the Swedish Song for Europe competition. All done of course without a live audience and with strict social distancing between the various performers. As usual I thought most of the songs were dreadful and couldn’t understand how the winning song did just that. Maybe I’m getting old but rap isn’t my idea of Song Contest winning material. Once it was over and we’d pulled every song to shreds I helped OH outside for a last time before taking her upstairs and going through our evening routine before snuggling down in bed.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 February 21 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I am truly humbled, reading the previous posts, feel incredibly grateful and full of admiration .
Thanks,really .
If I ever feel down, really down I will read them again ,give myself a kick up the ***** and get on with things grateful that I can.

Viktoria.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 February 21 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Glyn that's very moving and I can definately identify with the emotions.
I was bought up not to have any as a child, except fear. But as I've got older, I find myself getting a little emotional at times. It really grabbed me when the OH was away from home for 5 month, hospital then rehab, I never missed a single day, no matter what. The OH had sessions with a psychiatrist in rehab and they thought it a good idea if I did too. The first session for me was mostly with my head in my hands, blubbing.
I think it made me a stronger person and able to deal with far more than I would have.

I like the sound of your evening meal, anything with blue cheese and I'm there!

And is it coming up to Eurovision time already?
I bet I know what score the UK will get. "nul point"

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 February 21 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehowse, good morning and thank you.
I've quite a few ballooning tales stored somewhere in the old memory. Including one about taking a boy scout for a flight from the Isle of Wight, across the Solent and landing in Southsea.
His task was to cook something to eat in an unusual place, he grilled a burger on the balloon burner while over the water. I think he got his badge. :)

Brilliant. What a great tale.
I have been to Brownsea Island, and saw lots of strange little fluffy chick birds running round on their surprisingly long legs, but no red squirrels at all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 February 21 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehowse, good morning and thank you.
I've quite a few ballooning tales stored somewhere in the old memory. Including one about taking a boy scout for a flight from the Isle of Wight, across the Solent and landing in Southsea.
His task was to cook something to eat in an unusual place, he grilled a burger on the balloon burner while over the water. I think he got his badge. :)

Brilliant. What a great tale.
I have been to Brownsea Island, and saw lots of strange little fluffy chick birds running round on their surprisingly long legs, but no red squirrels at all.
Good morning mowsehowse, now that's a place I'd like to go.
I didn't know there were reds on the island, perhaps they migrated to Sandbanks where all the millionaires live, richer pickings.
It really is a beautiful area there, just on the limits of my teenage wanderings.
Griff

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 February 21 10:15 GMT (UK) »
As I understand it the reds have survived on Brownsea and IoW because the greys haven't managed to invade, yet.  You are right though, Sandbanks is THE place to be!! ;)

Visiting Osborne House on the same holiday I saw some reds that were like little balls of flame, the brightness of them almost hurt my eyes!!  It was Easter time, fabulous weather for the time of year, and the squirrels were as cheeky as sparrows on the lawns near the front door.  I was gibbering with joy to see them.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 February 21 10:28 GMT (UK) »
As I understand it the reds have survived on Brownsea and IoW because the greys haven't managed to invade, yet.  You are right though, Sandbanks is THE place to be!! ;)

Visiting Osborne House on the same holiday I saw some reds that were like little balls of flame, the brightness of them almost hurt my eyes!!  It was Easter time, fabulous weather for the time of year, and the squirrels were as cheeky as sparrows on the lawns near the front door.  I was gibbering with joy to see them.  :D
I could see the Isle of Wight from my childhood home and never went there.
Greys are so destructive, one place I lived, they would ring branches, chewing the bark off and the branches would eventually rot and fall off.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 February 21 10:57 GMT (UK) »
The best of it is humans still introduce non native species willy nilly imagining it is a Good Thing.
Words fail me. :'(