Author Topic: Duggan (maybe born 1852) ??? badly in need of a clean up and estimate of date  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duggan (maybe born 1852) ??? badly in need of a clean up and estimate of date
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 February 21 22:19 GMT (UK) »
My only concern is his left hand. It doesn't seem to have the deformities that are seen in the other photo.

Nice one, Carol
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duggan (maybe born 1852) ??? badly in need of a clean up and estimate of date
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 February 21 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks G..... yes I agree with you on that one....facially there is a similarity but the hand can't be ignored.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 February 21 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol and Gadget,

Thanks for your observations.  Yes, I do agree about the broken left hand, not showing up clearly (he fell off a haystack I've just found out) and it was never properly set/fixed  :P.....  I feel that the photo is a bit of a white out around the hand region.  Whilst there doesn't appear to be any deformity, he is holding on to his arm and it may be disguising the obvious deformity that shows when his arm/hand is swinging freely.  Would it be possible to remove his beard on the 2nd photo for a clearer comparison?
Just one other question, I'm probably asking to many, and I do appreciate your help.  What would the approx. date be on the torso photo?  There was nothing printed on the back of it.

I guess I want it to be Thomas, and am looking for reasons for it to be him  :P :P

Thanks again, Aussielass

Duggan, William - Wales c.1795, Australia
White, Eleanor - Queens Co. Ireland c.1810
Aspinall, Alexander - Lancashire
Beardsell, Jonas - Huddersfield, Yorkshire
Anderson, William - Ballyrashane, Londonderry, Ireland 1802, Australia,Vic,Tasmania
Cochrane, Mary Ann- Agadowey, Derry, Ireland - 1835
Langford, Richard - Brierley Hill, Stafford/Blakedown, Hagley, Worcester, NZ, Aust.
Cann, Eliza - Grantchester, Cambridge - 1839
Tait, Christopher - Delting, Shetland - 1854
Johnson - Shetland

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Beard removed ... I didn't compare the chin lines though
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Beard removed ... I didn't compare the chin lines though

Thanks Ian, it helps to compare the two.  Very similar, and the photos came from a collection where I believe they could only be one of three males.  One born in 1852, (I think the type of photo and clothing indicates the right time frame for the person in the photo) and the other two born in 1883 and 1887, sons of the person in question. 

Kind Regards,  Aussielass  ;)
Anderson, William - Ballyrashane, Londonderry, Ireland 1802, Australia,Vic,Tasmania
Langford, Richard - Brierley Hill, Stafford/Blakedown, Hagley, Worcester, NZ, Aust.
Johnson - Shetland

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 03:51 GMT (UK) »
A beardless comparison.

Note the shape of his head, Aussielass - with or without the beard you can see that he has broad cheeks and chin so that the sides of his face are pretty much parallel (rather than v-shaped or rounded like many people). It might be worth looking at his face shape in the old age photo to see if it is the same. Also the hair and hairstyle look the same. To my mind there's little doubt it's the same person.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 05:02 GMT (UK) »
A beardless comparison.

Note the shape of his head, Aussielass - with or without the beard you can see that he has broad cheeks and chin so that the sides of his face are pretty much parallel (rather than v-shaped or rounded like many people). It might be worth looking at his face shape in the old age photo to see if it is the same. Also the hair and hairstyle look the same. To my mind there's little doubt it's the same person.

Peter

Wow Peter, that's great, I think you have nailed it, both with your visual comparison and constructive notes.  His disfigured left hand which is clasping his right arm shows more of the two fingers that weren't disfigured.  The middle and pointer finger that are broken are not as clearly displayed.  Thank you so much I have checked his old age photo for his face shape.  Unfortunately it's not a very good photo, but good enough to see the similarity in face shape, even though his cheeks are a bit sunken.   Brilliant detective work Peter, you, together with all the other comments and restorations from the helpful people on this site, have helped me solve and fill a gap that has been missing.  I can now positively identify two photos that were previously an "unknown Duggan"

Kind Regards, Aussielass  :-* 
Johnson - Shetland

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello, again, AL.

Just remembered you were after a rough date for the bearded photo. I think it is probably within five years of the other photo, say the mid-1870s when beards and wide lapels were in vogue.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline chlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
could add the same beard onto the man with no beard as removing the beard is guess work really on the shape of his chin.
Feel free to use any of my edits to enhance further