Author Topic: Noble Heppell  (Read 422 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Noble Heppell
« on: Sunday 07 February 21 13:09 GMT (UK) »
This gentleman was shown as the landlord of the Jolly Drovers public house in Redwell Hills, Leadgate in the 1841 Census.  At that time he was living in the pub with his wife, 20 year old daughter and a 70 year old woman named Elizabeth Teasdale.

10 or !! years later the pub was the scene of a shooting in which a man died and the "long time" licensee was named as Ralph Teasdale.  But those two statements are at odds 10-11 years is hardly long time.

Can anyone please shed any light on Noble Heppell and his relationship to Elizabeth Teasdale?  Many thanks.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Noble Heppell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 21 14:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of an Eleanor HEPPLE in 1844. Her residence is recorded as Redwell Hill and her age as 50 years (Born 1794).

The registers for All Saints, Lanchester, record the baptism of an Eleanor Teasdale on the 2 February 1794 - Father shown as Robert Teasdale, Mother as Elizabeth Teasdale, residence 'Brooms'.

A Robert Teasdale married an Elizabeth Fairbridge on 26 December 1790 at All Saints Church, Lanchester.

The 1841 Census showing Elizabeth Teasdale with Ralph and Eleanor gives her age as 70 years - this would give a birth year between 1765 and 1770 (taking into account the rounding down of ages in the 1841 Census).

Assuming that Elizabeth Fairbridge was 'of full age' (i.e. 21) when she married in 1790, this would give a birth year of 1769 -- ties in with age recorded in 1841 Census.

So, if the above is correct, Elizabeth Teasdale would be Eleanor's mother.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 21 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you AllanUK,

This is excellent information.  I am not concerned about the difference between Hepple and Heppell because she would have been born well before spelling became standardised and there are still examples of both spellings in existence.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 21 17:57 GMT (UK) »
As I know too well having Heppell / Hepple / Hepell in my tree!!

Best wishes

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 21 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Believe it or not I found a man named Noble Heppell who was born in the mid 1800s and died in 1918 in New Zealand .  I was amazed at the duplication of a name like that but I don't know if they were in any way related.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 February 21 04:05 GMT (UK) »
For all us who know where Collierley (County Durham) is, a John Hepple married Hannah Worrow 10 May 1879, Church of St. Thomas, Collierley.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 February 21 11:20 GMT (UK) »
barryd,

Does this entry give any clue to his address or occupation?  As you know there is not a great distance between Collierley and Redwell Hills or, to take the modern view, Dipton and Leadgate.  It was also more or less traditional for a couple to marry in the bride's parish but live in the groom's parish