Author Topic: Royal reserves regiments in 1900  (Read 293 times)

Offline Patricia Houghton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal reserves regiments in 1900
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 February 21 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all who have responded.

Robert FRANCIS was first in the Royal Scots Reserves Service No. 2282 from March 1900 until March 1901 where  he appears to have joined at Berwick.
Then he was Enlisted into the Royal Garrison regiment Service No. 1369 and joins in Edinburgh.
I have identified he was in the 2nd Battalion from the War Forces website.
He seemed to have served from 13/3/1901 to 14/1/1901 "At home" but that does not tell me where he was stationed ( I presume Edinburgh) - correct me if I am wrong.
Then Gibraltar from 15/3/1901 - there is no end date for when he returned (if he did at all).
Then it says on the 12/2/1903 he extended his service for another 3 years - I think the writing says as a L[uc] Corpl - again correct me if that is wrong .
By the 13/5/1903 he has deserted , but for the life of me I do not why that was or where that was.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 February 21 12:17 GMT (UK) »
You will have seen from the link posted by Tonepad that 2nd Battalion remained in Gibraltar until 1904 so - as I said in my earlier post - that is presumably where he deserted.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patricia Houghton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 February 21 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Yes thank you I saw your post. I would like now to get to the records that the Army must have made about the desertion, possibly a court marshall was undertaken, even in his absence.
That way I am hoping to be definite about why he deserted and where that is, although I have to agree it does look awfully like it is going to be Gibraltar.

That in itself then poses the question of how on earth he then got back to the UK ? but that is for another day