Author Topic: Lazarus Stone, Portsea, Hampshire  (Read 364 times)

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Songwriter, singer, carpenter, from Cape Breton
    • View Profile
Lazarus Stone, Portsea, Hampshire
« on: Sunday 07 February 21 20:42 GMT (UK) »
There was a Lazarus Stone who was born in 1785 at Devonport, Devon in Nov of 1785, christened in Jan 1786 at Stoke, Damerel. His parents were a Richard Stone and Mary Stephens, married at Stoke in 1779. Richard was buried there in 1787. There were three children, Mary Ann 1780, Martha 1784 and Lazarus in 1785. The burial record for Richard shows his birth in 1751, no place given. There were a number of Stone families in that place, descended from a Sampson Stone. No one has this Richard as part of his family in trees that I have seen. I searching records for England in general, the only other Lazarus Stone is my ancestor at East Budleigh. I am trying to connect Richard to my Lazarus, b 1687, d 1753. There were two Lazarus Stones born to Samuel and Mary Criddick at Littleham, one in 1753 and one in 1762, both died as infants, though I can't find a death record for the 1762 guy. Lazarus at Portsea married a Betty Togood in 1809. They had seven children, all but two daughters, the oldest and the youngest died as infants or at birth, among them were three sons, a Lazarus in 1814- 1816; a Richard William in 1816 - 1818 and a William Richard in 1822. Two daughters, an Elizabeth and a Martha died young. Mary Ann wed a man Valentine Gardiner Roberts and had one son William Minto Roberts, 1851 - 1934.
Stones and their kin from East Budleigh, Topsham, Littleham and area - Webber, Newman, Davy, Motty, Harvey etc

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Lazarus Stone, Portsea, Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 21 08:51 GMT (UK) »
The marriage entry for Richard STONE to Mary STEPHENS  in 1779 describes him as being of the 'parish of Charleton in this county'. A Richard STONE was baptised at South Pool (approx 3 miles from Charleton)  3 Dec 1751, son of Robert. A Robert & Joan STONE baptised a son Samson at Charleton in 1737.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Songwriter, singer, carpenter, from Cape Breton
    • View Profile
Re: Lazarus Stone, Portsea, Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 21 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that - I can see the death and marriage record indexes but not the details through the Find My Past site - That would explain them being around the other Stones there - much appreciated
Stones and their kin from East Budleigh, Topsham, Littleham and area - Webber, Newman, Davy, Motty, Harvey etc