Author Topic: Robertson Family Girvan  (Read 1547 times)

Offline robertsc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robertson Family Girvan
« on: Sunday 07 February 21 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for some help with my great grandfathers family. Hi name is John Robertson and he was born in Kirkoswald on the 12th of October 1870, he died on 15th Jan 1921. He was married twice, first to Jessie Eaglesham/Eaglesome Bryan Born 8th Oct 1971 Girvan Died 26th June 1909 Girvan. They had  9 children.
Margaret Eaglesham Robertson Born 1st Sept 1895 Kirkoswald, Died 1986 Ayr
John Robertson  Born 30th Jul 1897 Girvan, Died 8th Sept 1968 Ayr
William Gordon Robertson Born 4th Oct 1899 Girvan Died 14th Dec 1967 Ayr
Bessie Nelson Robertson Born 25th Aug 1901, Died 16th April 1975
George Eaglesham Robertson Born 20th Aug 1904 Girvan, Died 14th July 1993 Girvan
Jessie Eaglesham Robertson Born 13th Oct 1906 Girvan, Died 15th Oct 1996 Girvan
Fergus Harvey Robertson Born 29th Apr 1908, Died 4th Dec 1974 Prestwick
Agnes Robertson Born 29th May 1909 Girvan, Died 26th Jul 1909 Girvan
Sarah Jane McKie Dalrymple Robertson Born 29th May 1909 Girvan, Died 26th Jul 1909 Girvan

John married again on 3rd June 1910 to Margaret Whitefield Bryan Born 12th Jan 1873 in Dalmellington, Died before my dad was born in 1943. They had 2 sons.
James Bryan Robertson Born 2nd Sept 1911 Girvan, Died 28th Nov 1991
Thomas Robertson Born 4th Dec 1912 Girvan, Died 4th Oct 1923 Girvan

Both family's lived at Robstone Girvan, which i believe is now a farm. Any information on them would be appreciated. But i am especially trying to find out where some of them may be buried, particularly John, his 2 wives Jessie and Margaret, the twins Agnes and Sarah and Thomas. I have tried find a grave etc, but not came up with anything.

Thanks for reading.
Scott

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson Family Girvan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Robstone has always been a farm and once a mill as well. Its located just SE of Grangeston on the B741.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 21 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott,
Welcome to Rootschat.

I don't have any info on your family but found your post an interesting read.
Can I just clarify, please? Did both of John Robertson's wives share the same surname - Bryan?
And if so were they related? This could maybe help anyone else looking into the family.

How sad that Jessie Robertson and the twins all died - Jessie on 26th June and the twins a month later on 26th Jul. I would guess there is a chance Jessie's grave would be re-opened for the twins to be interred. But then again sometime babies were just buried in small unmarked graves ( this happened to two in my family albeit 20 years later than the dates you are looking at).
Jessie might have been buried in a lair belonging to her family - the Bryans.

South Ayrshire Council should hold burial records /cemetery records - you could contact and enquire. I don't know how this service will be operating during the current Covid lockdown , unfortunately.
It might be that the family were not in a position to buy a headstone  - that would not be unusual.

Good luck with your search.

Looby :)

Offline robertsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 February 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for the replies so far,

Jessie's maiden name was actually Gordon, i have mistyped it, so it should be Jessie Eaglesham Gordon. Margaret's maiden name was Bryan. Thanks for pointing that out.

I had assumed that the twins would possible be buried beside Jessie, once lockdown is over i may take a trip down to Girvan and have a wander in the cementaries before i contact the council.
Thanks

Scott

Offline robertsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Robstone has always been a farm and once a mill as well. Its located just SE of Grangeston on the B741.

Don
Hi Don, Thanks, my dad group up in Killochan, but couldn't quite remember where Robstone was, but we found it on an old map., and it matched the current farm, that would make sense it was always a farm as my great grandad was a ploughman. My grandad was born in the cottages at Robstone. Thanks

Offline Girvan Robertsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 October 22 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Robertsc,
What do you wish to know about the Robertson's. My great grandmother was the sister of John Robertson, their parents were John Robertson and Jane Harvey/Harvie.
The family were from Kirkcoswald just up the coast from Girvan.
Regards John

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 October 22 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Scott,

John's first wife's name was Jessie Eaglesham Gordon.

John's father, John Robertson had four wives in total and he died in 1919 at Monkton near Prestwick, Ayrshire.
Jane Harvey/Harvie mother and father were Fergus Harvey and Jane Morrison.

Regards John

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 October 22 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Scott,

The family lived at Robstone Cottage, it was registered on a marriage certificate.

John's grandparents were John Robertson and Mary McEwan, great grandparents Joseph Robertson and Catherine Nichol.

Regards John

Offline robertsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi John. Please accept my apologies as I have just seen your replies. I have done a lot more research  since I first posted this so have some of the info you Mention.Which of John sisters are you related to. My dad is the son of John's and his 2nd wife Margaret's son James. You also mentioned that John's father John was married 4 times I have 3 of his wives Jane Harvie Mary Turner and Agnes Dalrymple can you tell me the other ones name. Hopefully we can share other information on the family.

Thanks and take care.