Author Topic: Have I missed something  (Read 603 times)

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Have I missed something
« on: Sunday 07 February 21 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Have I mised something? this is very odd did they take the body of the baby to Misterton for  burial?, how long that must have taken them by coach in 1849 ? The  Crewkerne railway station didn’t open until 19 July 1860.
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Have I missed something
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 21 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Is it Misterton? I cannot see a Misterson.
Maps says that would take 35 hours to walk. So less than a days coach ride?
Perhaps it wasn’t well and she took it home to her family for help, where it died.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 21 01:55 GMT (UK) »
I don't think they moved from Misterton Somerset, to Bampton Oxfordshire.

The first clip is from the Bamptom papers, telling of the birth on 22nd Aug 1848 of a son (it doesn't mention his name - perhaps he didn't have one by the time the paper was published) to a Mr W, Higgins. The father of this Mr W Higgins, is another W Higgins who is designated 'Esq' - and he is the one who is 'of Misterton Somerset'.
The second clip is the baptism of William on 11th Oct 1848, at Bampton. One suspects the same child.
Then the third clip is the burial of William on 28th Dec 1848 at Bampton. He is given as aged 4 months, so born August, which fits with the date on the newspaper cutting.

So they were never in Misterton - well, not at the times relating to the birth and death of the child William. All the clips relate to Bampton (or 'Brampton' as the burial states). It was William the father of William the father who was 'of Misterton'.
(three generations of Williams makes it difficult to differentiate!).
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 February 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »

Thank you both for your reply, yes three generations of Williams.  I had thought that that baby William may have been taken to see his paternal grand father William in Misterson [ 1 mile  south-east of Crewkerne, Somerset] by his father William & died while on a visit, but I cant find a death recorded there neither can I find  one recorded for Witney [ for Brampton his mothers home village] I know the father was working in Bethnal Green by 1851 & there is a death recorded there.
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 February 21 11:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of an infant in Witney in the December quarter of 1848, it is recorded as HIGGONS, it may have been incorrectly transcribed from the original registration. That may be worth investigating.

Amendment.

I should add, the clipping of the burial, although stating the  residence was of Brampton, it is  from the Misterton parish records, the whole page can be viewed on Ancestry.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 February 21 11:24 GMT (UK) »

The second clip is the baptism of William on 11th Oct 1848, at Bampton. One suspects the same child.
Then the third clip is the burial of William on 28th Dec 1848 at Bampton. He is given as aged 4 months, so born August, which fits with the date on the newspaper cutting.

So they were never in Misterton - well, not at the times relating to the birth and death of the child William. All the clips relate to Bampton (or 'Brampton' as the burial states). It was William the father of William the father who was 'of Misterton'.
(three generations of Williams makes it difficult to differentiate!).

William Higgins of B(r)ampton, Oxfordshire appears on the Somerset burial index for Misterton, Somerset, so third clip is Misterton burials not Bampton.
Maybe a family plot in Misterton.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 February 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 there's a William Higgins - proprietor of lands age 51 in Misterton, sounds like he might be the grandfather of the baby. Sounds like he might be well off, but only has one live in servant on the census.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 February 21 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you jabber & LizzieL,
Yes that is the grandfather in"1851 William Higgins proprietor of lands", & the  burial was in Misterson, the vicar maybe asked where he born & told Brampton, the death recorded in Witney could be him, but it still looks like they took the body of the baby to be buried in Misterson "in the family plot?", a distance of 125 to 150 then had to get from their homes and to the home of his father, travelling in December the roads back then.