Author Topic: Locate/install two missing two missing MS Important updates  (Read 451 times)

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Locate/install two missing two missing MS Important updates
« on: Monday 08 February 21 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I use ‘Belarc Advisor’ – which ‘builds a profile of your installed software and hardware’ etc – and this shows that I have missed installing two important security updates.  Please can anyone advise me, or point me in the right direction to install these?
Thanks
John

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Locate/install two missing two missing MS Important updates
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 21 14:05 GMT (UK) »
If you head to Windows Update (on Win10, that's under Settings, Update and Security), that will contact Microsoft and work out what is ACTUALLY needed, then download and install the relevant items.

The chances are that what these people are suggesting is "important" has been superseded by some other update, such as the Cumulative Updates which are released at least monthly.

Believe the "horse's mouth" version.

Incidentally, tomorrow in "Patch Tuesday". On the second Tuesday of each month a whole load of patches are released, at about 18:00 UK time - lunchtime on the west coast of the USA.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locate/install two missing two missing MS Important updates
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply – it’s helped a lot!  I’ve deleted that Belarc app – obviously it’s not needed and, if it hadn’t been on my PC . . !  ;)
I checked MS Update earlier and downloaded/installed the available updates. Your comment: ‘Believe the “horse’s mouth version’ is my mantra from now on! :)

Thanks again,
John