Author Topic: Eliza Cafferata, Nottingham. Can you date this picture please?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
Eliza Cafferata, Nottingham. Can you date this picture please?
« on: Monday 08 February 21 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I'd like your opinion as to the date of this picture and the age of the lady please. Unfortunately I don't have an uncropped version.
Many thanks in advance.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Cafferata, Nottingham. Can you date this picture please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 21 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that this was an 1870s image. It looks like it has been restored, beautiful photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 21 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol. I guess I must be learning something.  I'd have guessed late 1870s.

Offline gerolstein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 01:37 GMT (UK) »
CAFFERATA, Louisa [Eliza] (b Liverpool 5 September 1839; d 98 Cochran Street, London, 21 April 1875).

Like so many would-be vocalists, of some talent, Miss or Mdlle Cafferata had a struggling career …

The family of Joseph Cafferata (d 53 Everton Rd., 10 August 1871), a Liverpool brewer, and his wife Frances Elizabeth née McQueen (d 9 July 1878), was a large one from which seven children survived to adulthood. And five of those would make – for some of their life, at least -- a career in music. Four sons, Joseph Raphael (1832-1913), Charles Edward (135-1893), Arthur Frederick (1853-1933) and Julius Francis (1855-1918) -- who stayed in Liverpool and contributed local music-making, while the fifth, and one daughter, Louisa. Louisa went to London.

Now, many a time and I’ve had cause to damn the amateur genealogists who infest the WorldWideWeb with their semi-imaginary family trees. But the Cafferatas are well-documented and the family have come up with some fine photographs and, best off all, an autograph letter written by Louisa, aged 31, freshly down in London and trying to make a go of a singing career. It is a wonderful letter … well, it speaks for itself, so I hope the family won’t mind if I quote from it…

article continues ...

Offline gerolstein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gerolstein for that quite fascinating blog post.I would love to take a copy of it, with your permission, for my own use. Should I wish to quote from it I would, of course, make sure it was suitably credited. However, I am not convinced this is Louisa Eliza Cafferata although I am open to the idea. The photo came from relatives of Eliza Chamberlain Cafferata who lived in Nottingham. Just to confuse things further, in my tree I have an Eliza Cafferata and an Eliza Maud Mary Cafferata in addition to Eliza Chamberlain and Louisa Eliza!

Offline gerolstein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I see that there is a chance it might not be she... but, goodness, how many Cafferatas WERE there!  Please, use my test wherever and whenever you like. Knowledge/research is meant to be shared. Best wishes, Kurt.