Author Topic: Rescue Volunteer - Badly Injured - Two Wild Campers break Lockdown Rules  (Read 2332 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Rescue Volunteer - Badly Injured - Two Wild Campers break Lockdown Rules
« on: Monday 08 February 21 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Two campers (from Liverpool and Leicester) have been fined £200 for breaching coronavirus lockdown rules, wild camping in the Lake District, after a mountain rescue volunteer was seriously injured in a fall while going to their aid, when one fell ill with chest pains.

Such a shame a poor Patterdale Mountain Rescuer Volunteer suffered "significant life changing injuries" and is in a serious condition in hospital after falling 500 ft (150 m) whilst  heading to the campers.

£200 just doesn't seem much of a deterrent to discourage others doing the same thing, does it ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-55970536

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue Volunteer - Badly Injured - Two Wild Campers break Lockdown Rules
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 21 13:54 GMT (UK) »
That's shocking, what a dreadful thing to happen to the volunteer. People don't seem to think about the people who come to rescue them on their wild escapades. Our coastguards locally have made appeals for people to stay away from the sea in rough conditions, don't walk under crumbling cliffs, check the tide times. But of course there will always be the element who ignore it or don't make themselves aware.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 21 14:14 GMT (UK) »
What an Absolute disgrace, what is wrong with these people. I live on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park & every week end the Covidiots arrive. If approached the usual answer is "we are doing no harm just exercising at a safe distance in the outdoors".
Fines in England are set to increase from £200 to £5,000 for the first offence in a bid to force compliance, I say the sooner the better.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 February 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I think that they should also be made to pay towards the rescue costs. People like these two who seem totally inept and think rules don't apply to them put others in danger .
 A lot of these rescue services are volunteers and fund raise to keep going. Due to covid
 many have funds reduced for the last year as have a lot of charities. As for saving idiots were they worth it!

Tazzie.
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 February 21 14:36 GMT (UK) »
We have a better idea - we jail them!
Anything from 2 weeks to 8 weeks.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I thought I had reported that incident a good few days back, the Mountain Rescue chap getting hurt during an attempt to rescue two illegal campers, don’t say there have been two !
The stupidity of some people.!

Well we are in for a very cold spell, the pipe from the Combi boiler might freeze tonight. ::)I will have to be out there with jugs of warm water!

I was angry and appalled to hear a person on the radio yesterday ,a Nurse ,give her reasons for not having the vaccination for Covid 19,she said her Pastor had said she must not have it !
Gosh, a Nurse too!
In Manchester Mosques are being used as Vaccination centres , hopefully that will help people who are not sure it is alright for them,that for it to be administered in their Mosque might convince them it does not contain anything forbidden by their religion .Their Imams have agreed to it.
It must be hard for them.

Cut my walk short today, there were a few young men gathering on a path a bit out of sight of the entrance ,on their mobiles, they probably were waiting for their drug supplier ,I did not want to witness that so went quite quickly.
There were other people in the vicinity too ,how bold!
It is a playground in normal times for local children ,who generally don’t do any damage - what a disgrace .
The problem is rife.
Well off for a cuppa folks, and back to watching naughty dogs.

Hope you all sleep well.
I am not getting notifications of posts ,don’t know why, and am all mixed up with the days!
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I thought I had reported that incident a good few days back, the Mountain Rescue chap getting hurt during an attempt to rescue two illegal campers, don’t say there have been two

You mentioned it on a ‘Diary’ thread a few days ago.

This is a separate posting about the same incident  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Any news about the rescuer?
Thanks, I realised that but wondered if mine had been posted at all?

I think I press too lightly or there are new posts which sometimes block new postings.
Viktoria.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I really think that we should have been tougher months ago on those who decide that they can break the covid laws as it doesn't apply to them. Far too many people are willing to take a chance if they think they will only get fined £200 for a first offence - make it £2000 and they might think twice.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk