Author Topic: Where is Langfield?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Langfield?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 February 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=53.70236&lon=-2.06868&layers=1&b=1
The above ca 1900 map has Langfield; you can zoom out to see Todmorden to N & Burnley to NW Heptonstall to NE.

That 1900 map is wonderful, thanks.  I can see where Langfield is, very close to Walsden, which is actually slightly separate from Todmorden.  I was told that the Lancashire/Yorkshire border used to run right through Todmorden, and Walsden was in Lancashire.

Briercliffe looks to be the general area to the east and slightly north of Burnley, with Haggate maybe a village within that general area.

And Knowlwood looks to be closer to Todmorden than Walsden.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 February 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I was told that the Lancashire/Yorkshire border used to run right through Todmorden,
I understand the boundary runs through the town hall.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 21:18 GMT (UK) »
https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Place:Langfield%2C_West_Riding_of_Yorkshire%2C_England

The above link will take You there.

Is Langfield another name for Mankinholes?

Interesting map, thanks.

No - Mankinholes and Langfield are 2 separate areas of Todmorden

Also I think in general Knowlwood is part of Walsden. My husbands family came from Langfield

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Burials at St Peter's Walsden taken from the sextons list

693 Grace Smith - Walsden 26 Oct 1858 78 William & Mary Newall Walsden
Robert Smith - - - - - - - -
William Smith Engine Tenter Todmorden 29 Sep 1860 53 Robt & Grace Smith Walsden
Mary Smith - Todmorden 6 May 1863 50 John & Jane Wood Wadsworth
James Smith Overlooker Todmorden 5 May 1881 71 Robt & Grace Smith Walsden
Full R. Crossley Sexton

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Burials at St Peter's Walsden taken from the sextons list

693 Grace Smith - Walsden 26 Oct 1858 78 William & Mary Newall Walsden
Robert Smith - - - - - - - -
William Smith Engine Tenter Todmorden 29 Sep 1860 53 Robt & Grace Smith Walsden
Mary Smith - Todmorden 6 May 1863 50 John & Jane Wood Wadsworth
James Smith Overlooker Todmorden 5 May 1881 71 Robt & Grace Smith Walsden
Full R. Crossley Sexton

Thanks.  This information seems to confirm assumptions I have made, for instance in the first line does that mean that Grace Smith died age 78 and is the daughter of William and Mary Newall?

And does it mean that Mary Smith died age 50 and is the daughter of John and Jane Wood of Wadsworth?  (I assume she could be the wife of William Smith).

And does it mean that James Smith died age 71 and is the son of Robert and Grace Smith?

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 08:43 GMT (UK) »
It does. That sexton’s list is brilliant if you are lucky enough to find an ancestor on it. It always lists, where known, the parents of the person buried there, even the wives.

There could be slight variations in the translations eg Newall could easily be Nowell.

Mary would have been the wife of William. The husband and wife were usually translated on consecutive lines

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm Bull’s Calderdale Companion is also a good source of information. In it is states that Robert died 18th January 1859 and that he had 4 children, William, Olive, James and Sally.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm Bull’s Calderdale Companion is also a good source of information. In it is states that Robert died 18th January 1859 and that he had 4 children, William, Olive, James and Sally.

That confirms information I have which I was by now almost sure of but I was still going over it wondering. 

Olive born 1806 is the eldest of the children of Robert and Grace Smith, she was born in Haggate in Briercliffe and baptised in Burnley, and she married Charles Ogden b 1806 in Burnley and had one child, that I can find, Mary Ann Ogden born 1833 Walsden, who is with her grandparents age 18 on the 1851 census.  Then William 1807-1860, James 1808-1881 and Sally, my ancestor, 1815-1901 were baptised in Heptonstall whilst the baptism records of William and James say the parents abode was Haggate in Briercliffe.

Then their daughter Jane was baptised in Heptonstall in 1821, Grace in Heptonstall in 1826 and their youngest daughter Mary was baptised in Todmorden/Walsden in 1832.

Robert Smith was buried in January 1859, but I think he died in December 1858, along with his wife Grace.  The GRO gives his death as December 1858, with nobody else named Robert Smith two years either side of this.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Robert Smith was buried in January 1859, but I think he died in December 1858, along with his wife Grace.  The GRO gives his death as December 1858, with nobody else named Robert Smith two years either side of this.
A GRO reference is to the last month of the quarter in which the registration was made which is not necessarily the of death. He probably died late Dec, the death was registered before the 31st Dec then buried at the beginning of Jan.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON