Author Topic: Charles Henry Brown  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Widdershuns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Henry Brown
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I had tried Canadian records, and eliminated those I found. I also checked Ancestry for British records, and I have tried the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site where I found only one possibility because he did not have his parents listed: service number78610 died May 12, 1920 aged 20.

Is there another military resource I should check? I am wondering too about searching only for Charles Brown without the middle initial. The workhouse recorded his full name, but did he ever know it?

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a Charles Henry Brown returning from South America, River Plate, Rio de Janeiro arriving in London April 1919. Born 1897 aged 22 years-aboard the Highland Glen ship.
I note from a tree online that Emma Dixon Brown's mother's maiden name was Susannah Beaman 1821-1903.
There is also paperwork online showing Solomon Aspinal joined The Royal Rifle reserve Regiment and enlisted in 1900, which is when Emma was last living with him. In 1901 Emma is in the workhouse with 6 month old Rose. Solomon Aspinal is listed as a Chelsea Pensioner. You may already know most of this as you seem to have done a lot of research.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Widdershuns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I do have all of that. I got some marvelous help from a volunteer at the York Cemetery where his mother, her husband, his biological father, and two siblings are all buried.  Rose died at a year, so there has been no need to trace her.  But Charles Henry Brown is not in that cemetery.

I'm not sure that he would have found his way to South America, being a pauper. I don't remember seeing that any of the British Home Children were sent there. It's not impossible of course, but the difficulty is proving it was him.  I would like to check with Barnardo's but they have been closed since last March.