Author Topic: Wanting to find information on SIDMOUTH CONVENT please  (Read 1280 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting to find information on SIDMOUTH CONVENT please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 February 21 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I have a handwritten note which is in Latin and have managed to translate most of it using online option but another name has  now been introduced in relation to Norah - Florence Augusta Sinclair !

When you say another name has been introduced, what is the context? Is it an alternative name, or a sibling?

If I recall, when I looked the 1901 census up, one child in the convent is listed as ‘orphan’ but the other children have no relationship indicated.
The convent in our town was established to care for the poor but then became a fee paying school plus the nuns worked in the community.
I wonder if that happened in Sidmouth.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Twdyr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 February 21 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully the birth certificate is the correct one and will provide some relevant information. Both girls are really hard to find anywhere!  I guess you have looked at her marriage certificate for potential father's name, and that of witnesses?

Roots chat is being difficult for me as well. I can only reply by clicking the link on my email notification.
Jenkins: Guilden Sutton/Plemonstall, Manley, Bebington: Cheshire. Wales, Hawarden Fl
Hughes/Jenkins pre-1650 north Wales., possibly Anglesey/ or Huyish of Somerset.
Smith: Somerset, North Curry area.
Dawson: Birkenhead, Lancashire, and USA.
Lawton: Birkenhead, Wirral, Staffordshire.
Jones: Flintshire, Flint
Lea/Newnes: Chirk Mill, Penley, Hanmer, Worthenbury
Williams: Llanbeblig/Caernarvon.
Rowland: Llandrygarn, Anglesey.
Brew/Lewney: Isle of Man
Powell/Bennett/Forward/Coram: Somerset/Wellingto

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 February 21 12:31 GMT (UK) »
heywood    Tried to attach copy of the hand written note scanned but too big. mb instead of kb.   Think I might have to give up trying any more, and wait until birth cert. available and see what that tells me.

The convent at Sidmouth is now a private school, as is the one she was in at Boreham in 1911.  I have written to a a couple of the people suggested to contact and have yet to e-mail  two more. Both for Sidmouth convent and the Boreham convent.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 February 21 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Twdyr    I have copy of Norah's marriage certificate and it gives Charles Edward Knight Sinclair as her father.  Not that I have found him anywhere.   If it is the right birth certificate she has Knight as her surname.  She was always known as Sinclair though  -  only the very knowledgeable people on here found her birth registration for me when I had been looking all the time for her as Sinclair !     
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Clare Veronica Wyman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 March 21 18:29 GMT (UK) »
A pity whoever is looking for Nora Sinclair did not contact the Assumption Convent first. She is recorded as an orphan in the accounts from04.10.1900 to 19.12.1905. her sponsors were a Miss Clarke and Miss Pauline Hingeston, a major benefactress  to the convent. She made a journey costing £1"2"0 on 19th Dec. 1905 but the Accounts do not say the destination. parents are not named.
For prices at the time (7 shillings to London) I think this could well be to Newhall.

Sr. Clare Veronica (Archivist for the Assumption sisters in England)