Author Topic: Alice Luson/Lewson c1630s or 1640s  (Read 297 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Alice Luson/Lewson c1630s or 1640s
« on: Tuesday 09 February 21 20:01 GMT (UK) »
This is a follow up to a couple of messages I posted in 2018 and 2019.

I am trying to locate an ancestor of mine named Alice Luson who married William Amis [also spelt Amos] at Oare in 1663.

So far I have only located one christening for an Alice Luson in the area:

Alice Luson
Christened 21 September 1637
Parents: Samuel and Katherine

There is an Alice Luson daughter of Samuel who was buried in Kent on 13 October 1639. This is on Familysearch and although it doesn't state a parish, a check of the film number shows that Oare is included in the film.

So far I haven't been able to find any other Alice Lusons in the area at all. I did wonder if she might have been a widow when she married William but again I've not been able to prove this.

I know that Samuel Luson born in Harty in 1605 [son of Richard] who appears to have married twice. It looks like his first marriage was to a woman named Bennett Nethersole on 14 April 1631 at Faversham. I have just found a burial for Bennett Nethersole wife of Samuel dated 22 April 1631 also at Faversham so it looks like this marriage didn't last very long or produce any children. This marriage took place by Licence.

Then on 11 September 1631 he married Alice Hickes of Boughton under Blean also by Licence at Boughton under Blean. After checking on Findmypast I've found that the Licence appears to be dated 2 September 1631.

Also I found a note in the marriage entry on FindMyPast  today which says:

"LEWSON or TEWSON shown as Sam in lic and John in PR. She d of John, yeoman"

So I'm not sure if he was a Luson, Lewson or Teswon now lol!

I've only found two children born to this Samuel [or John] and Alice:

Elizabeth Luson christened at Oare on 7 September 1634.

William Luson christened at Oare on 26 July 1640.

Although I haven't yet found a death/burial for Samuel I was wondering if he might have died between 1640 and 1663 and then his widow Alice [Hickes] married William Amis as "Alice Luson"

This seems to be the only logical conclusion if we assume that the Alice christened in Oarein 1637 died in 1639.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to work this out? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can identify my Alice?

Thanks
Matt