Author Topic: HP Deskjet 3700 all in one printer.  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HP Deskjet 3700 all in one printer.
« on: Tuesday 09 February 21 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I bought this printer a year ago and only use it occasionally .

I can scan and print from it no problem but when I try to print e.g. a document from laptop nothing happens. I never had this problem before .
I am the only one who uses both laptop and printer .
I have removed and then reinstalled it a few times today but still nothing.
Any advice very gratefully received .
Thank you

Jessie

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HP Deskjet 3700 all in one printer.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you turned it off and then back on again at the mains ?
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 20:43 GMT (UK) »

Yes I have removed it reinstalled it three times today.

Can't figure it out at all especially when after scanning something I could print it .

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 21:40 GMT (UK) »
When you installed the software were you able to print a test message?
 :)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 10:41 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for all your advice I am going to leave it for a few days and go back and try again if not I can seeing me investing in a new one .
It's not appearing on my desk top either so I'm sure I'm not doing something  correct
I've never been lucky with HP laptops either .
We had our internet update was thinking it might be something to do with that .

Jessie

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I was gifted an HP for free because they couldn't use it without online permission of HP because they signed up for the Ink Supply Program.
I tried to hack it and just use Generic Printer Drivers bypassing HP.  FAIL!
I can't even donate it to a charity shop at the moment so it's a prop for an ipad.
I use a Canon 3650 All-in-one and re-ink my own cartridges with £ shop ink bottles + syringe.   Works fine.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 12:58 GMT (UK) »

I had an Epsom for years and no bother with it could print from Kindle Fire as well this one is unbelievable .It is two weeks past warranty .
I've been trying again all morning but no luck once shops open up again I am going to get a new one
One thing it has passed a few hours of being stuck indoors . I do hate to be beat but this has got me bamboozled.

Thanks for your input .

Jessie

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie

I have an HP 3 in 1 which I use solely for scanning these days, and a couple of weeks back it no longer gave me the normal scan dialogue box when I opened the HP scanning application.  I discovered through googling that the software used by my particular machine depends on Adobe Flash, which is no longer supported.  One of the first things the HP scanning program apparently does upon launch is check today's date, and when it finds that it's past the last supported date which was some time in January, it decides it doesn't want to play any more.  The workaround is to temporarily change the date on your computer (I just change the year), launch the HP program, then change the date back before scanning (otherwise the scan dates are wrong).

I know this isn't the problem you're experiencing but I do wonder if flash might be behind the issues - maybe the software is trying to check ink levels and can't.  You might manage to find something by googling along the lines of "HP 3700 won't print".

If you're definitely "pointing" at the right printer another possibility is that there's something hanging around at the head of the print queue which needs deleting before anything else can happen.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 February 21 09:11 GMT (UK) »
@Famildar makes some good points.

I have a Canon 3in1 which (thankfully) works just fine.

There are perhaps a few things you could check via Windows settings (if you haven't already done so!). The examples are from W10.

1. Open Windows 'Settings' and click on 'Printers & Scanners'. Check that the Printer is Online (=not Offline).

2. Click on the Printer/Scanner. "Open queue" allows you to see if there's an old document clogging up the queue. Remove any old documents from the queue. 'Manage documents' allows you to print a test page, run the Windows 'troubleshooter' and check the printer properties (as far as you're able to). At the bottom of the 'Maintenance' Tab (under Properties), there's a button "Show printer status". This will tell you if any ink cartridges are empty.

At some level in Windows, the scanner and printer are seen as 2 separate devices. So it's possible that the scanner works while the printer doesn't.

So the last thing to check is that the printer status is shown as "Ready" (or OK) in the program that you're trying to print from (Word in the example).

As a last resort you could try "removing the printer" (see below), disconnecting the USB cable, reconnecting it and using the "add printer" to let Windows find it and initialise it again.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.