Author Topic: South Lodge Kirknewton  (Read 2623 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: South Lodge Kirknewton
« Reply #36 on: Friday 12 February 21 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I did see that one, Annie. Her father is not right (Robert)  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clareuhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 15 February 21 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, sorry for the delay. The first image was of the Kirknewton birth cert, and the one below is of the Edinburgh/George Square birth cert. I can't see any different info between them. Still trying to find some links to who James, Agnes, and Elizabeth are. Thanks again.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 15 February 21 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Clare  :)

One new thing to add to your pile. This certificate to me has Anges's original signature. Registers were copied by clerks and either the copy register or the original register (no particular reason I think) were sent to General Register House in Edinburgh as the main depository. The images on SP can be from one or the other therefore. Easy enough to tell if it is a copy entry as the writing style is the same throughout.

I have worked on some research where the original signatures on documents determined we were looking at the same person. Hopefully, not to long from now, we will have a marriage cert where Agnes signed the register to let you compare..... ::) ;)

Monica

Offline Clareuhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 15 February 21 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. One other bit of information I received from my mum over the weekend was that the use of orphanage and "children's home" was used by my grandmother, so it isn't clear what level of home life she was raised in. My mum mentioned that even as an adult my gran was mostly unable to read or write, so it does seem like she was not educated, but unsure if this was usual for a child born on the late 1920s?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 15 February 21 20:54 GMT (UK) »
From what you mention, Margaret's early years could well have been disruptive and distressing for her. Hard to say more without more details.

Looking back over the last few days, you are making progress....

You have got some details for Agnes from the registration of Margaret:

- We think her father was a James Anderson, byreman, living in South Lodge, Kirknewton.
- We think Anges may have been relatively young, with the description 'daughter of' on Margaret's birth reg.
- The name WICK in Margaret's name seems to connect Agnes to Elizabeth Anderson, who also used the surname WICK for her (twin?) sons, William and Kenneth. Elizabeth lived in the same area as James Anderson, byreman. The two boys were born only weeks before Margaret.
- There is also a William Wick to be found nearby. A gardener by occupation. Potential father to the children of both Elizabeth and Agnes??
- Wick is not a common surname and is very much an Orkney name. William Wick may well be the William Work Wick born 1894 in Orkney, who died in 1973 in Peebles. No obvious marriage for him. You have good details on him and family. Getting sight of his death reg at some point post covid closures will probably help!

As Forfarian has mentioned, the 1921 census will be out next year we believe (no date as yet). This should help to move things forward. We would expect to find Agnes's family in one household with details to let you find more about them. We have no idea at present who her mother was. No names to work with, except that Agnes called your grandmother Margaret Douglas Kirk Anderson. We have some thoughts on Kirk, but for the rest??

Lots to find and discoveries still to make, Clare  ;)

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 15 February 21 21:18 GMT (UK) »
- The name WICK in Margaret's name seems to connect Agnes to Elizabeth Anderson, who also used the surname WICK for her (twin?) sons, William and Kenneth. Elizabeth lived in the same area as James Anderson, byreman.
According to the RCE Elizabeth's son Kenneth died at Southh Lodge, Kirknewton, which was the address Agnes gave on the birth certificate of Margaret.

He died on 12 June, 11 days after Margaret was born and 14 days before her birth was registered.

Agnes called your grandmother Margaret Douglas Kirk Anderson.
Margaret's third name was Wick, not Kirk.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 15 February 21 21:35 GMT (UK) »
My head is stuck with Kirk...rather than Wick. I have had to go back a number of times to edit  ::)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 15 February 21 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Baby Kenneth's death showed slightly different on his death reg compared to the attached RCE. Also age at death also differed between 1 month to 7 weeks. Nothing of note in respect of Agnes and Margaret, just additional details really.

Offline Clareuhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 28 August 23 21:24 BST (UK) »
Monica, you mentioned that the new census may help finding a common household for James (father), Agnes (daughter?), and Elizabeth (sister?) Anderson.
I have been trying all different combinations but am a complete novice. Do you have any suggestions?
If Agnes was listed as “daughter of” on Margaret’s birth cert in 1929 might we think she is still young herself at time of census in 1921?
Elizabeth was listed as dairy maid in 1929, what typical age range does that indicate?
Thanks so much for any helpful insights