Author Topic: South Lodge Kirknewton  (Read 2604 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: South Lodge Kirknewton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 18:45 GMT (UK) »
I don't see any attached picture?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare

Welcome to RootsChat from me too  :)

Some guidance here on how to attach images www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=130922.0

If you struggle, let us know and we can help further.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 19:19 GMT (UK) »
....Her birth certificate was registered in Edinburgh DOB 1 June 1929. According to her birth certificate mother was Agnes Anderson “daughter of oresman”. Domicile: South Lodge Kirknewton.
No father information.

I think it likely that Agnes was relatively young at the time of Margaret's birth. I only see normally the description "daughter of a xxx", when the mother was young. It would normally simply show the mother's name and occupation if applicable.

What did Margaret tell her children about her early years? You won't find information on possible adoption (is that what happened?) as adoptions were unofficial until 1930. Before this, adoptions were privately arranged and no records remain for them. See www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=130922.0

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I am curious about names  ::)

You mention that Margaret's middle names were DOUGLAS and WICK. There are two birth entries showing in Kirknewton in 1929:

William Wick Anderson 690/ 27
Kenneth Wick Anderson 690/ 28

Margaret's registration on the Kirknewton register in 1929 has the reference of 690/ 35.

Wondering about the Wick surname for these two boys.

Forfarian, you are whizz with all things SP. The consecutive numbers, does this imply twins potentially?

Monica

Offline Clareuhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Whoops, sorry about that image not loading. Hopefully it is attached now.
Monica, thank you so much for your insight. I have also been very interested at where the Douglas and Wick names came from. Unfortunately I don't have much information on her childhood, the story was that she was an orphan, and that is what my father and uncles were told. Both of my paternal grandparents had unknown fathers (and in this case not much information on a mother either) so any help would be really appreciated as I start this ancestry journey after losing my dad unexpectedly. Thanks

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I think it says daughter of a Byreman which would make his occupation farming.

You can see modern images of South Lodge, Kirknewton if you "google" it and look at the properties for sale. It was last sold in 2019 and looks like it has been extended.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 20:23 GMT (UK) »
William Wick Anderson 690/ 27
Kenneth Wick Anderson 690/ 28
The consecutive numbers, does this imply twins potentially?
Yes.

Unlike in England, where several births are on the same page and therefore all have the same page number, Scottish ones all have a unique number.

Kenneth Wick Anderson, aged 0, died in Kirknewton in 1929. So although you can't get the birth certs online, you can find out from the death cert who his parents were. I took a look and he died at  Whitecross Cottages, Kirknewton, and his mother was Elizabeth Anderson, dairymaid. However the RCE says he died at South Lodge. So it looks pretty certain that Elizabeth and Agnes were sisters.

(I think Whitecross may be an error for Whitemoss. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=55.87915&lon=-3.41324&layers=168&b=1)

So why would two sisters bestow the same unusual middle name on three illegitimate children?

BTW I agree with byreman. So James was a cattleman who got a tied house with his job.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth, mother of the two boys Kenneth and William, is showing as a dairymaid on the death reg of Kenneth. Would fit with the byreman ref (where a byre is a cowshed!).

Monica

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Just to note , there is a William Wick on the VR's for Kirknewton 1925/30.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records