Author Topic: Brick WAll  (Read 664 times)

Offline rspltd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick WAll
« on: Wednesday 10 February 21 10:11 GMT (UK) »
If anyone fancies a go at my brick wall to relieve the boredom, any suggestions welcome. My tree ends with the birth of Egerton Adams 17 May 1732/3 (depending on record) recorded at Hanbury Parish Church St Werburgh. Father Joseph and Mother Elisabeth. Thereafter that appears all the reference to Joseph and Elisabeth that I can find on these Parish Registers (Joseph appeared as a witness at Egerton's marriage in 1755 at the same church so was alive then. I can find no record of a marriage, baptism  or other children that appears suitable. Those that I have found are either geographically unlikely or historically unlikely. The Ad(d)ams name is prolific in the area (going back to 1618) so I am confident that there ought to be a connection but can't find it.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick WAll
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:26 GMT (UK) »
According to FindMyPast Egerton was baptised at St. Mary, Uttoxeter (but married at Hanbury by licence).

The only likely couple I can see for his parents are Joseph Adams and Elizabeth Painter, both of Marchington, who married by licence 4/2/1718 Hamstell Ridwell.   A daughter Dorothy bp.3/4/1720 Marchington and then I think they moved around with a Joseph bp.3/12/1721 Checkley, Mary bp.29/3/1725 Darlaston and Hannah bp.14/8.1827 Darlaston followed by Egerton.

There was another Joseph and Elizabeth baptizing children in Burslem but they were baptising children before 1718.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rspltd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Annette I had spotted them but couldn't find any other children. Having been on FindMyPast I can't find them now -even searching with the details you gave me!! I'm assuming Hannah is a mistype in 1827  and Dorothy looks as though she was the one buried Hanbury Sep 30 1841. Now I''ve got to work out what you did that I'm obviously not doing!!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Can't understand why you can't find - them.   Just went to parish baptisms, entered surname Adams, Staffordshire and parents as Joseph and Elizabeth searching 1728+/-10 years.   This brings up 24 results (headed by Egerton) but some of the 24 are repeats.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rspltd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Well that is interesting - I have done exactly that and have 16 results which only includes Egerton  and Joseph. I am using a Library version of FindMyPast - I wonder if that makes a difference? I will investigate further.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 February 21 00:16 GMT (UK) »
It took me ages too, but if you tick the name variant box for Adams you (I) get the 24

Offline rspltd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 February 21 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I finally found them by ticking all the variant boxes including the ones left blank!!  Now of course the mystery has just got a lot worse.!!  Egerton Adams was born 17/5/1733 and registered in Uttoxeter. Parents given as Joseph and Elisabeth. So far so good. He was one of five children the first Dorothy 1720, Joseph 1721, Mary 1725 and Hannah 1727. Now the mystery begins. The parents were living at Marchington but got married at Hamstall Ridware some 10 miles away by license. Why? The first child Dorothy was born in Marchington, the 2nd Joseph in Checkley, and the 3rd and 4th in Darlaston some 36 miles away. More mysterious and then they 'came back' for Egerton to be born in Uttoxeter. Does all this ring true to anyone? I have a birthdate for Elisabeth of 1695 which seems to fit but I cannot find a birth or death for Joseph which seems to fit. Was he older and they ran away or perhaps too young? Any thoughts welcome.