Author Topic: John Sabiston (b1716) and Katherine Isbyster  (Read 711 times)

Offline Naneva

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Sabiston (b1716) and Katherine Isbyster
« on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Would be great to get any further info for the above. They were married in 1735. Looking for parents if known. Banging my head of a brick wall!  ::) Many thanks!  ;D

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Sabiston (b1716) and Katherine Isbyster
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 21 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Try the Orkney Family History Society,

https://orkneyfhs.co.uk/home.php

You might be lucky and find a member who has researched these folk! ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Naneva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 February 21 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh!  ;D

Offline KigEdwa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 December 21 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I'm late to the party, but my fiancé is a descendent of John Sabiston on of the 7 brothers who immigrated to the new world during the 1800s. There is a book with info on three if the brothers who moved to BC Canada and ended up settling in Nanaimo.

From the book, it says John Sabiston was born to George Sabiston and Margaret Browne in Kirkwall Orkney Islands Feb 14th 1828. It says they grew up on a farm near Castle Folly, which I believe is the earls palace in Birsay. He worked as a ship hand on the steamship called the Beaver. He worked for the HBC eventually becoming Harbourmaster of Nanaimo and Sabiston st. Still exists their to this day.

His wife was an indigenous women from Ketchikan Alaska named Jane. Here is a link to that section of the book. Maybe this 7s the John you're looking for. He's definitely got the beard.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=XwJHhU6V8DwC&pg=PA214&lpg=PA214&dq=kilts+on+the+coast+sabiston+brothers&source=bl&ots=vvUVip5fDm&sig=ACfU3U1kYXljH-UPqpw70i50qGFXOP6okQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii2de1hcT0AhUsEDQIHRbOBP0Q6AF6BAgOEAI#v=onepage&q=kilts%20on%20the%20coast%20sabiston%20brothers&f=false