Author Topic: Marriage: Ryan and Williams in Limerick  (Read 585 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Marriage: Ryan and Williams in Limerick
« on: Wednesday 10 February 21 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, There is a secret child in my family. I know there is one in many families, but this is the first I have found in my research. The name is Doreen M Williams, but I cannot find any birth registered. She was probably born between 1916 and 1936, though I feel it is later rather than earlier. I believe she married a P Ryan in Limerick, who may still be alive, so not the full name. They met in Manchester, where a child born was adopted by Williams relatives. It seems accurate, that they went to Ireland and married in 1950, or soon after. I don’t know how long the marriage lasted, but ‘Doreen’ returned to Carmarthen, Wales. My interest, is trying to find Doreen, or whatever her real name is. It has been a big secret that family refused to talk about; and what they said was probably not the truth. I have looked on Family Search, but found nothing that seemed right in Limerick, which was the only location offered. There is a mother and two daughters, who could possibly be Doreen’s mother. They had also been married; so her name could possibly be Humphreys or Davies, though referred to as a Williams. I know this is a long-shot, but I keep hitting dead ends. This is quite vague, but I am hoping a Ryan and Williams marriage may not be that common, or even Humphreys/Davies. Thanks Talacharn

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage: Ryan and Williams in Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 20:15 GMT (UK) »
That is quite an age span 1916-1936.   If she was born "later rather than earlier" it could mean she is still alive.  You say her husband could still be alive -  so why not her?

What year was the child born?  If D married in 1950 she must have been born at least a few years before 1936 as she would only be 14 in 1950

You say the child was adopted by her relatives - what relationship as you could possibly trace her via those relatives.

Has the child ever applied for sight of their adoption papers?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 20:30 GMT (UK) »
When the child was born in 1950, I was told she was young and that Doreen is not now alive. I feel young to be 16-17, rather than an earlier date, when she would not be described as young, but of a normal age to marry. My interest is only to find Doreen's name. During that time span, there is one Doreen registered in Carmarthenshire , which is not her as I bought the certificate. The mother and her 2 daughters were having children between those years. Doreen was illegitimate and I know her father, but nothing about Doreen.
Added: There are no papers as it was a family 'adoption' not official.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to trace Doreen through other members of the family. At that time, my family was a mess. The mother, a Williams, could be too old to be D’s mother as she was born in 1893, but not impossible, widowed and married again. She had 2 daughters in 1906 and 1912. Both were single, married, divorced and married again. For only short periods they were Humphreys and Davies; then reverted back to Williams. For both daughters, I have found a child each during their marriage, and both had an illegitimate child. I have their birth certificates with father /. None of the children are Doreen as they were all known later. D’s mother is probably one of the daughters, but I do not know which one.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 February 21 16:05 GMT (UK) »
To close this thread, the marriage has been found.