Author Topic: Jane Keen (nee Henry) - married George Wilson Keen 3-01-1855 to 29-11-1890  (Read 828 times)

Offline Kerrymitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Keen (nee Henry) - married George Wilson Keen 3-01-1855 to 29-11-1890
« on: Thursday 11 February 21 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My first post here, and hoping to get some great tips. (I'm from NZ).
My great-grandparents are from Innerleithen and I'm looking for interesting info on them. She lived at St Ronans Cottage, Cauldhame, Innerleithen. I don't know if St Ronans is the name of her place or if there are a group of cottages there. She died young from Peritonitis after having four boys.

Hector, John, Henry and George (my grandfather).

I'm just curious to know if there would be any newspaper clippings about her or the family. After her death, George married again to Elizabeth Scott. They had another son called William, and came out to NZ in 1902.

I have a beautiful photo of Jane, and a lovely family shot of the four boys altogether. These were taken in Galashiels by J Clapperton. George was a manager at one of the mills, and I have a group photo of him with the workers, and his family in it. Possibly taken when he was thinking of leaving.

Would there be anything in old newspapers about this family? I had hoped to find more photos perhaps, or anything really. I have a picture of her headstone.

Hope I'm asking in the right place.

Regards
Kerry, from NZ.

Offline Kerrymitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Keen (nee Henry) - married George Wilson Keen 3-01-1855 to 29-11-1890
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 21 04:19 BST (UK) »
Wondering if I can bump this up?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 21 08:35 BST (UK) »
Here are two for you.

Southern Reporter 4-12-1890:

At St Ronan's Cottage, Innerleithen, on the 29th
ult., Jane Henry, wife of George Keen.

The Southern Reporter 13-7-1899:

FOR Sale, Tandem Tricycle; Swift make; detach-
ables; good order; all bearings. Apply, George
Keen, St Roman's Mill, Innerleithen.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 June 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
St Ronan's Cottage appears to be named on the attached map on Leithan Road, very near to a mill.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/188146560

Doing a search on Google for St Ronan's Cottage, Innerleithan had the result below for St Ronan's Cottage, 102 Leithen Road, Innerleithan. Might this be the property you are interested in? (Dating buildings is not my strongpoint!).

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/6404832/

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Kerrymitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 June 21 09:56 BST (UK) »
Here are two for you.

Southern Reporter 4-12-1890:

At St Ronan's Cottage, Innerleithen, on the 29th
ult., Jane Henry, wife of George Keen.

The Southern Reporter 13-7-1899:

FOR Sale, Tandem Tricycle; Swift make; detach-
ables; good order; all bearings. Apply, George
Keen, St Roman's Mill, Innerleithen.
That's really awesome, thank you so much! That shows her death notice, and I would suspect the sale of the tandem tricyle would be selling it before they left, though that was later in July 1890. Is there a link so I  can search further with those and maybe find some more items?

Offline Kerrymitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 June 21 10:05 BST (UK) »
St Ronan's Cottage appears to be named on the attached map on Leithan Road, very near to a mill.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/188146560

Doing a search on Google for St Ronan's Cottage, Innerleithan had the result below for St Ronan's Cottage, 102 Leithen Road, Innerleithan. Might this be the property you are interested in? (Dating buildings is not my strongpoint!).

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/6404832/

William
Aha - what a darling you are. Yes, that house link was in fact the property. I posted an a FB page at Innerleithen with an older picture of the house (I think from the 70s that I got from a cousin) and the locals put me in touch with the new owners. They sent me a front photo and some back photos they've had. But it's so exciting to see the shape of the place from the inside, even though it would have been updated over time. Nice to imagine my favourite grandfather running around the place, until he was 12 years old, and then they left for NZ.

Thank you again, so much appreciated!