Author Topic: Help re Register Newgate Prison Record handwriting  (Read 275 times)

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help re Register Newgate Prison Record handwriting
« on: Thursday 11 February 21 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Help please with this one. I can make out personal details (my GGGGGrand Mother) but struggling with column 2 (when brought into custody)  and 3 (by whom and from where committed) - the full record is here https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/61810/images/61810_pcom2_216-00239?pId=849454
Thank you in advance
Paul
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Help re Register Newgate Prison Record handwriting
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 21 10:17 GMT (UK) »
It looks a bit like Wands or Wandw, so perhaps Wandsworth? Not sure what the bit under it is, though.

I don't have an Ancestry sub, so I can't look at the link to compare the handwriting.

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 February 21 10:23 GMT (UK) »
When brought into custody [12 September 1866] Wands[worth] 1 mo[nth]
(the date is dittoed down from 2 entries above)

By whom and from where committed W. Woolrych, Southwark (Surrey)

So she arrived at Newgate on 12 September 1866, after spending 1 month in Wandsworth Prison. She’d originally been sent to Wandsworth committed by W. Woolrych (magistrate), who had heard the case at the police court in Southwark and then committed her for trial at the Old Bailey. (Newgate was the holding prison for pre- and post-trial prisoners at the Old Bailey)

See here ...
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def1-877-18660917&div=t18660917-877

ADDED - Apologies. Looking more carefully at the dates in the Old Bailey transcript, and comparing other entries on the Newgate register page, it seems that Wandsworth 1 month is a sentence she'd served as the result of a previous conviction. Now corrected above.

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 February 21 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both om much. Her son knew Wandsworth prison quite well.... another story. This gives me some more to work with - any other pointers gratefully accepted
Have a lovely day
Paul
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady