Author Topic: George Gabriel Gess  (Read 1430 times)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: George Gabriel Gess
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 21 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Related thread here:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=844402.0

I was also wondering the source of the idea that he came from Sussex, England?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 February 21 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I've checked NSW BDM to no avail.

Hi,

Can I just mention that the NSW BDM did not exist until 1856,  when it was established by the NSW Parliament as one of a number of functions of the Registrar Generals Office. 

The Early Church Records that you see indexed at NSWBDM with a V in their reference number can cover the penal era from departure of the First Fleet 1787 with some through to the early 1900s.  BUT NSW BDM has never claimed that their holdings include all the bdm events that have happened in those years.   

So just because you cannot find an event listed at the online index for NSW bdm please do not form the view that it did not happen.   

Unlike England, in the colony of NSW there was no "Established Church"  but by 1810, the NSW Governor did issue a general order requiring that all baptisms and burials were to be notified to the NSW chaplains on a quarterly basis.  He did not provide any funding to cover that administrative function, so over the decades until civil registration commenced in NSW (1856) many bdm events occurred but not reach the admin.

JM.
ADD .... that 1810 general orders main purpose meant that NSW admin could calculate the sterling to claim from England to fund the penal settlement. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Grant Knuckey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 February 21 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you and all the other responses my learning curve has just gone exponential. I'm not complaining, its just going to take this old brain time to sift and absorb this massive influx of raw data. :o

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 February 21 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you eliminated the 1845 baptism indexed at NSW BDM for a son (George WG)  for George G and Sarah GESS ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 February 21 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Baptism
George WG, parents as George G and Sarah GESS,  NSW bdm ref ... line 1776, Volume 48, 

It is also at family search
Baptism foe George  Wm. Gabriel GESS, baptised 26 August 1846,  in the Macquarie District of NSW,  parents as George Gabriel and Sarah GESS. 

Gold was not discovered until 1851.  So he was in NSW before then .... 

JM

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 February 21 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Related thread here:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=844402.0

I was also wondering the source of the idea that he came from Sussex, England?

https://theweald.org/sitesearchs.asp

I can’t find any people named Gess on this site which includes Ticehurst. (Although I haven’t been through the whole alphabet!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 February 21 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Mckha489.
FreeREG has 16 entries in Ticehurst for the name Guess (14)/Gess (1)/Guss(1)

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 February 21 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Forgot about the 'U'!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 February 21 06:56 GMT (UK) »
The info about a George II posted who was in Hospital 1832 has his occp as a Steward.
Ship "Julia"

May relate back to this info on other query;
GEFS George....rank Steward....departed Hobart 10 Aug 1833...."Jane"....Swan River
Posted by Wivenhoe

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)