Author Topic: Thomas Rigden  (Read 587 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rigden
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:30 GMT (UK) »
a couple of possible ....

Elizabeth Rigden  from Hoath b 1738 is a similar age haven't looked for any death of marriage yet.
 The others are born earlier so looking around if rule them out as the one from Sturry 1726 or Adisham 1729.

Son John born Harbledown 1766? Is that the right couple.

Tazzie

I'm not aware of the Elizabeth in Hoath myself and I'm not sure how far that is from Harbledown.

Elizabeth Rigden and John Smith married at Harbledown on 11 October 1761 and had five chidren who were all christened at Harbledown:

Richard - August 1762
Ann - January 1764
Elizabeth - November 1765
Stephen and John - July 1768

Richard is my direct ancestor and married Elizabeth Shrubsole at Faversham in 1782.

However the question still remains, is the Elizabeth Rigden who was born in Faversham in 1736/1737 my Elizabeth? If she did die then a whole lot of my tree [her ancestry] is wrong.

It is a shame no other info was given on the burial.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure that the two baptisms are for the same child?  If another daughter was born after the first one's death she may have been given the same name.  This happened a lot.
Mary

Do you think there could be two separate children? The dates of the christenings are identical except from the year with one entry reading 1736 [see first link below] and the second [only a transcription] reading 1737

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBPRS%2FCANT%2FB%2F96241245

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=R_882933239

With the change in the calendar system that happened in 1752, Jan 1736 would now read as Jan 1736/37. So it's possible that the 1736 entry was transcribed twice, once with the year as 1736 and once with it as 1737.

If there is only one Elizabeth Rigden, christened in January 1736 we presume, then is she the one who was buried in October 1737? The burial entry simply states "30 Oct Elizabeth Rigden, Infant".

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FCANT%2F005264873%2F00565&parentid=GBPRS%2FCANT%2FD%2F95185831

Matt

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 February 21 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes probably a transcription error. so ignore my earlier comment.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 February 21 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes probably a transcription error. so ignore my earlier comment.

Yes I also thought it could be a transcription error. The Elizabeth who was buried in October 1737 is described as an "infant" so I presume she was under 1 year. That would tie in with the Elizabeth who was christened in January.

It's a massive nuisance that the burial entry only refers to her as an "infant" rather than "dau of ......." which would have helped with this puzzle. It's annoying as other burials in the register do describe people as "son of....", "daughter of......" etc

Given that there appears to be only one Elizabeth Rigden in this parish and one burial for an Elizabeth of the same age should I be discounting this Elizabeth? I've disconnected her and her ancestors from my tree but I may keep hold of them in a separate file. Of course if that's the case then I have several wills I no longer need as well lol!

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 February 21 23:54 GMT (UK) »
a couple of possible ....

Elizabeth Rigden  from Hoath b 1738 is a similar age haven't looked for any death of marriage yet.
 The others are born earlier so looking around if rule them out as the one from Sturry 1726 or Adisham 1729.

Son John born Harbledown 1766? Is that the right couple.

Tazzie

I've just done some digging on the Rigdens in Hoath. Elizabeth was christened on 10 December 1738 and was the daughter of Thomas and Frances. It appears that Elizabeth had one sister

Sarah Rigden - christened 19 April 1741

I looked for a burial and found that Thomas Rigden had married Frances Farbrace at Canterbury in September 1737. The marriage took place by licence and both Thomas and Frances were "of Hoath".

I can't see any signs of burials for any of these people or christenings for Thomas or Frances.

The only thing that makes me cautious about this Elizabeth is that Hoath is 16 mile from Faversham.

Thomas Rigden of Faversham died in 1746 leaving a will in which he mentioned his wife Alice and his "children" but annoyingly he doesn't name them. If he had named them or at least said how many children there were it would have helped

A very frustrating situation indeed.

Matt