Author Topic: Photo Dating help! 1930s, 1940s or 1950s? Location Suffolk, unknown men  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo Dating help! 1930s, 1940s or 1950s? Location Suffolk, unknown men
« on: Friday 12 February 21 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  I am hoping to try and narrow down the decade in which these photos were taken.  I always believed it was the 1950s but a family member thinks the men look more 1930s in their attire.  I have looked online at various examples of suits but it hasn't really helped.  Perhaps the slight sepia photo itself might be more indicative of one of the decades?  Annoyingly, as is the way with a box of inherited photos, there is no writing on the back to tell me who the men are, but I have since found the location of the sundial to be in Suffolk.  Many thanks, Nina

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Dating help! 1930s, 1940s or 1950s? Location Suffolk, unknown men
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 21 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Nice shiny shoes.  I would say they look more modern than 1930's but will await more expert opinions.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 21 16:02 GMT (UK) »
The last two look 1930s but not sure of the first one - I notice that he's wearing squared off toes to his shoes.

I'll pop downstairs and see what my books say  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 21 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Men are always difficult to date as men's fashion didn't alter as much ladies. Here Is one of mine that was dated to early 1930s. Horace is wearing light coloured shoes and his trousers had turnups too. My first impression was that the first one was 1950s as the trouser legs are narrower.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gadget & Milliepede.
Treetotal - i notice the white shoes as in the beach shot - my 3rd photo - look similar?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 21 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I've checked my limited supply of 20th century books and think that the first one is also 1930s.  Oxford  pointed toe shoes were in vogue, apparently.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 February 21 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gadget - more ticks for the 1930s box than 1950s!  I think all the photos were taken at the same time/on the same holiday - all my family came from and lived in SE London (Bermondsey. Rotherhithe, Deptford, Peckham) and I guess this was a rare holiday to Suffolk.  Looks like the same 2 men walking along the beach in photo 3.  Wish I knew who they were but once I can settle for sure on the correct decade I will be able to go back through my family tree with that in mind and hopefully draw up a list of who they might be.  Nina

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 February 21 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Not easy to tell

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 February 21 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I don't think the first two were taken on the same day  ::) Just my opinion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU