Author Topic: Cumann na mBan members  (Read 559 times)

Offline Leathlobhair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cumann na mBan members
« on: Friday 12 February 21 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, first time posting here so hopefully I've dotted my i's and crossed my t's appropriately! :D
My grand Aunt Josephine (Josie) Evers sided with the 'Irregulars' in the Civil War. She was arrested for storing weapons at her home in Georges Place, Dublin (also known as George's Pocket).  She shared a cell with, among others, Margaret Buckley who mentions Josephine a couple of times in her book The Jangle of the Keys. I've been able to get very little information on Josephine as she never married and her siblings have all passed at this stage.  Her brother Paddy was a member of Number 2 Section ASU in Dublin City and was arrested following the burning of the Customs House. Although a member of the Dublin Guards, Paddy sided with the anti-treaty forces in the Civil War and was arrested and interned in the Curragh as was his younger brother Joseph. I have only a single photo of Josephine from her In Memoriam card and have been unable to find any relatives with any to share.  As a long shot would any descendants of Cumann na mBan members on this site have come across any documentation with mention of Josie Evers sometimes with the 'nickname' Whippett after her name?  Or perhaps someone has an old photo of Cumann na mBan members that might include Josie?  She hasn't shown up on the Military Archives site and I have images of her name, etched into the wall of her cell in Kilmainham, and signed on autograph books.  If anyone can add to my meagre store of knowledge  :'( that would be great!  :)

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cumann na mBan members
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 21 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 21 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Family in 1911 Census : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000042441/

Josephine is working as a 'domestic servant' in Gardiner Street in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000047621/
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline Leathlobhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 March 21 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chinapaddy,  thanks for all the work that you have put into this.  Unfortunately, I already have this info. and that of each of her siblings and parents.  I just have very little on her time in the Republican movement 1916-1922, other than her time in prison during the Civil War.  I really appreciate you taking the time to post this information, so thank you.