Author Topic: Zipporah Williamson b 1876 Hayfield ,Derbyshire  (Read 1708 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zipporah Williamson b 1876 Hayfield ,Derbyshire
« on: Saturday 13 February 21 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I need a little help here as I am not familiar with Derbyshire
in my tree I have my Great Grandmother
Zipporah Williamson born Hayfield 1876 - she died when I was 7 in 1958 in Liverpool aged 82 ..
although Zipporah married in Edge Hill ,Liverpool she spent most of her life in Garston ,Liverpool .
I have her mother as Charlotte Williamson - but I don't have her father - and probably will never find him as it looks like Zipporah was born out of wedlock
the thing is
there is another Zipporah Williamson b 1867 also in Hayfield - so presumably connected ..can anyone help in connecting these two ladies please
thanx in advance
Garstonite  :)
ADDED  I know Zipporah grew up in Glossop - was she born there ?  does Glossop come under Hayfield for registration purposes ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Zipporah Williamson b 1876 Hayfield ,Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 21 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Zipporah born 1867 dies in 1868.  Zipporah - 1867 - mmn = Kay.  No mmn for 1876 Zipporah, as you already know.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 21 08:25 GMT (UK) »
THANK YOU so much - that fits
Charlottes parents were James Williamson b 1831 and Marjery KAY b 1826 - so Charlotte named Zipporah  after her dead sister ..I have James Henry Williamson b 1867 as one of Charlottes siblings - so am I right in thinking Zipporah b 1867 mmn Kay is James Henrys TWIN ??

ADDED  Yes they were twins - just checked on IGI ...thanks very much - that has cleared up my little query - sadly I don't think I will ever find Zipporah b 1876 father  :(
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 February 21 08:36 GMT (UK) »
It looks likely - mmn = Kay.

GRO shows June quarter 1867 - James Henry - page 653 - Occasional copy A and again page 662 - Occasional copy A.  653 is the same page number as Zipporah.

I think that Occasional copy A relates to an alteration, but I stand to be corrected on that score.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 February 21 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Bumble - I don't think I can go any further - ie Zipporah b 1876 father - Charlotte was 16 when she had Zipporah so unlikely to find him  :)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 21 07:51 GMT (UK) »
To answer your additional question, yes Glossop does come under Hayfield for registration purposes.
Glossop was the Ancient Parish, which included Hayfield but when Poor Law unions were organised nationally, Hayfield was chosen by the government as the territorial head for some reason.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 21 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know on what basis, but there are trees on Ancestry which suggest her father was a Caleb Hill (1858-1914).

It may be worthwhile contacting some of the tree owners and asking the question?

Alan   

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 21 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know on what basis, but there are trees on Ancestry which suggest her father was a Caleb Hill (1858-1914).

It may be worthwhile contacting some of the tree owners and asking the question?

Alan
Possibly because in the 1891 Census, Zipporah, aged 15, is given as a domestic servant in the household of Caleb Hill, aged 33. He is married to a Charlotte, aged 38.
Also a Samuel aged 12.
Interestingly Zipporah and Samuel just have a 'W' after their names - no 'Hill' as surname.
It's put forward that Zipporah and Samuel are the children of Caleb. Was the Charlotte, wife of Caleb, not Charlotte Williamson, and Zipporah and Samuel were her children?
The previous post says that no marriage could be found for Caleb Hill and Charlotte.
It has been verified that Charlotte was the mother of Zipporah.
In which case Caleb Hill might not be the father anyway!

A bit of a longwinded explanation sorry. But I'd guess that's why people on Ancestry have put Caleb Hill as the father.

Previous post that gives this information:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=188229.9
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 February 21 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

That is interesting - there is the birth of a Samuel Williamson registered Hayfield (Derbyshire) Sept Quarter 1878 Vol 7b Page 798 and the GRO details show no mothers maiden name.

Alan