Author Topic: Fenlon family Moneydurtlow area  (Read 2638 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fenlon family Moneydurtlow area
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 21 16:31 GMT (UK) »
This  is an oddity but as it is not your direct line it may not be that important.
I was looking for any relatives in records:
Marriage of Jeremiah Ryan and Maria Fennelly - father William
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1892/10644/5878251.pdf

Marriage of Maria Ryan - father William Fennelly
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1908/10074/5664622.pdf

I can see the note re the details of the marriage on the baptism so it is very strange.
Perhaps though the name search should be broader.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fenlon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 February 21 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood.  I don't know what to make of this.  Those two marriage records seem to clearly be for the Maria in question, but, as you note, the Kilrush baptism record show Mary Fenlon had parents of Pat Fenlon and Kathy Ryan. I think the best explanation is that the priest incorrectly listed the marriage of Maria Fennelly on the baptism record of Mary Fenlon.  What do you think?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 February 21 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood.  I don't know what to make of this.  Those two marriage records seem to clearly be for the Maria in question, but, as you note, the Kilrush baptism record show Mary Fenlon had parents of Pat Fenlon and Kathy Ryan. I think the best explanation is that the priest incorrectly listed the marriage of Maria Fennelly on the baptism record of Mary Fenlon.  What do you think?

I was just about to post the 1892 Ryan-Fennelly marriage, but Heywood beat me to it.
She is not from your family. The church record for the same marriage gives her parents as William Fennelly and Mary Delaney. Same parents listed for her second marriage in 1908, with the annotation that their address was Ferns.

The solution as to why there is an annotation on the baptism record in Ferns is potentially simple, just as you say - the priest misidentified which baptism. I have seen it happen in my family - a marriage noted for a child who died young!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 February 21 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 February 21 18:05 GMT (UK) »
OP - another oddity.
Normally Irish people, of whatever persuasion, named children for grandparents.
You can see this with Anna's children - there is a son named Patrick, and a daughter named Catherine, just as would be expected.
But looking at Edward's children, there is not one named for either of his parents.  That can only mean
either not correct parents, or there was a falling out.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 February 21 18:19 GMT (UK) »
There is this death for a Patrick Fenlon - might be your man

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06221/4780181.pdf

Enniscorthy Workhouse 1887 Patrick Fenlon 75 yrs of Milehouse.
When Thomas married in 1895, his residence was Milehouse.

Offline Fenlon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 February 21 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood and Wexflyer for finding the records that clearly show that Maria is not mine. The search for records on Mary Fenlon starts fresh now. (Of course I had already done quite a bit of research on Jeremy Ryan.) I'm really glad to have that sorted.

Wexflyer -- I agree that it is common to name children after your parents, but in the US it is less common.  Edward's wife was born in the US (her parents were born in Ireland -- Co. Galway and Co. Mayo) and she would have some say over the children's names. I am certain that Edward and Anna are bother and sister. However, a falling out is an interesting hypothesis. My uncle told me that when my grandmother tried to ask Edward about his roots in Ireland that he was reluctant to discuss it.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 February 21 18:35 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 there are two families in Milehouse
Thomas - marriage already given. He has a brother Peter  :-\ (can’t see a birth.)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Marshalstown/Milehouse/1788618/

The other one Patrick and  Elizabeth Fenlon does not have Patrick as father on marriage.

Here is the marriage of Peter Fenlon to Sarah Kenny - 1909

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1910/09978/5628134.pdf
And in 1911

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Marshalstown/Pullinstown__Big/677661/

Difficult without the births
He could be Pat baptised 1878

Offline Fenlon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 February 21 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,
I think the Patrick Fenlon from Milehouse that died in 1887 at 75 years old is too old to be my Patrick. That puts his birth at 1812 and my Patrick had children from ca. 1863 to 1879. This Patrick could be a father to my Patrick.

WRT Patrick Jr., there is oral family history that one of Edward's brothers died in an accident.  My theory was that it was Patrick Jr. because of this record of a 13 y old Patrick dying in 1892. The Ballinastraw location fits:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1892/06033/4718221.pdf

The name Thomas also only comes from family oral history --  that one of Edward's brothers that stayed in Ireland was named Thomas. I have assigned it to the male born in 1867 in Moneydurtlow, but I would not put money down that the assignment is correct.