Author Topic: Burials in Crook and Billy Row  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Burials in Crook and Billy Row
« on: Saturday 13 February 21 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Lee died aged 76 on 5 Mar 1913 in Crook and was buried 9 Mar 1913 Crook Cemetery in grave 1729.  Her husband Matthew Lee died aged 54 on 6 Mar 1892, grave not found but is likely in Stanley St Thomas but unfortunately the register (1888-1894) is noted as having been destroyed in a fire at the church.

I am interested in any others named Lee buried in Crook and Billy Row and grateful if you would advise if your hold an index by surname.

In particular I am trying locate the graves of Matthew Lee who died aged 73 in Jul/Sep 1878 and his wife Mary Tirzah Lee who died aged 78 in Oct/Dec 1884.  They had a son John Lee born in 1846 last seen in the 1871 census with his parents.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Crook and Billy Row
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 10:55 GMT (UK) »

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I created that memorial!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I created that memorial!

The entries in Find a Grave quote specific grave numbers as well as the cemetery so, as you created these, I am puzzled as to why you said:

In particular I am trying locate the graves of Matthew Lee who died aged 73 in Jul/Sep 1878 and his wife Mary Tirzah Lee who died aged 78 in Oct/Dec 1884.  They had a son John Lee born in 1846 last seen in the 1871 census with his parents.

As they are each seem to be in a different grave, its unlikely the graves were purchased so there wouldn't have been a headstone for any of them.
If you want to know how to pinpoint the burial sites within the cemetery, I'd guess you'd need to ask the cemeteries dept at Durham County Council who may (or may not) have a cemetery plan

Boo

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I created the memorials after my original post because of information received subsequently from Durham County Council's Bereavement Services.  I am trying to persuade them to have burial registers scanned and uploaded to Deceased Online to make them more accessible to the public.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I created the memorials after my original post because of information received subsequently from Durham County Council's Bereavement Services.  I am trying to persuade them to have burial registers scanned and uploaded to Deceased Online to make them more accessible to the public.

Many Durham Cemetery records (though not Crook as the LDS don't seem to have filmed those) are currently freely available:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800454.msg6579260#msg6579260

So though it would be nice to have access to more, if the Council enters an agreement with a commercial site such as Deceased Online then we'd likely lose this access we currently have.

Boo

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
You said, "So though it would be nice to have access to more, if the Council enters an agreement with a commercial site such as Deceased Online then we'd likely lose this access we currently have."

None of the burial records at www.familysearch.org would be removed because they were filmed and transcribed by the LDS.  If Durham County Council decided to scan any burial or cremation records for Deceased Online, these would be only for registers of the municipal cemeteries and crematoria, not any of the churches.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 14:58 GMT (UK) »

None of the burial records at www.familysearch.org would be removed because they were filmed and transcribed by the LDS.  If Durham County Council decided to scan any burial or cremation records for Deceased Online, these would be only for registers of the municipal cemeteries and crematoria, not any of the churches.

The burial register images in the post I gave the link for are not for parish churches, they are with a couple of exceptions for cemeteries within the County of Durham, some (though not all) are the responsibility of the Durham County Council and very few if any have yet been transcribed by the LDS.

Though hand in the air, if councils  are going to have a commercial agreement, I'd rather they followed the same route as  Liverpool and many other areas did and team up with one of the general genealogy sites.
Deceased Online's lowest annual sub is £89 and limits the user to 450 views.

For just a pound more than that I renewed a worldwide sub a short while ago with one of the main sites - for that I can have all the record images I want: parish registers, census returns, military records, municipal cemeteries, etc etc etc from across the world.

For many of us there is a limit to our budget for our hobby and we try to get the best value possible.

Boo

Offline CopseWood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 March 21 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I notice that your are in a discussion about Crook Cemetery, could you tell me if the details of burials are 'on-line' for there? And if not where would this information be held? I am trying to find the burial place of my great Grandfather Thomas Lund, who died in 1923.
Many thanks for any help.