Author Topic: Goosey Goosey gander.  (Read 2989 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Goosey Goosey gander.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 February 21 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Seem to rember they used hankies

Yes, that's how I remember the game too.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 March 21 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Seem to rember they used hankies

Yes, that's how I remember the game too.

We called it Hanky Ring when I was in primary school in the 60s.  One of our favourite games on nice days when you could sit in the playground.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the reason for using a purse or other small item - I remember a beanbag also being used - was because one variant allowed the one who had the "pocket" dropped behind them to scramble up and hurl the pocket at the one who had dropped it - and if it hit, then the original pocket-bearer had to continue!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 16:17 GMT (UK) »
We played a game—— well, it consisted of the boys tying the girls’plaits to the school railings . ::)
You knew you were popular if it was done at least once a day .
Not by ribbons either, yer ackshull plaits!

I and a couple of other girls were easy game having the longest.
I still get a Christmas card from one of the lads.
I never knew the rules if RallyVo, or was it RelieveO ?
The Big Ship Sailed up The Ally Ally O .
Years later I found it was from America and the river was The Alighenny .
Pilgrim Fathers?
The Farmer’s in his Den. Boys joined in that and you had to marry,no really marry any boy who chose you for his wife.when you were grown up.
I lived in dread of one poor lad asking me ,I would not have hurt him but l could not like him ,I liked it when the one from whom I still get a card  was  the farmer !
He was a bit of alright- then  ,but not at a school reunion some fifty years later.However to be fair we had all changed hadn’t we.

Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Your memories are wonderful, Viktoria - you're obviously rather older than I am, and Lancashire based, but a lot of childhood things seem to have lasted longer in outlying and rural districts. thank you for your memory prompts.
I was trying to recall, the other day just how "Grandmother's footsteps" was played. Young teachers I know don't seem to know these playground games at all.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Is that the one where we said something like what grandma was doing ie washing and we did the actions,remembering those were dolly tub and mangle washdays.

Ironing,sweeping,polishing ,cooking ,baking.
Practising for when we would be chained to the kitchen sink or even nailed to the floor!
Oh what joy, ::)

Some years ago ,children’s behaviour on the yard at playtime was getting really bad.
The Head of one school looked up those old games on the computer for  the Welfare Staff  to know so they could teach the children.
Those games meant we co operated with others,took turns,and  all got on.
There never really was a proper revival ,children had changed so much.
Pity.
Viktoria.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:01 GMT (UK) »
I remember the game with all the children in a circle but the rhyme went something like:
"I wrote a letter to my Mother
On the way I lost it
And one of you has picked it up
And put it in her pocket!"

The child had a hanky and walked round the circle and dropped the hanky behind someone picked at random

"I also remember "What time is it Mr. Wolf?"....and "May I"

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:33 GMT (UK) »
The children loved “ What time is it Mr.Wolf .”
But with the little reception class,only four years old ,they had accidents if they ran, so I was always the wolf and gave fair warning like” threeOclock and my tummy is getting very hungry “ licking my lips .
The timid ones would stay at the back .
I never ran after them,(  I - the wolf- had a bad leg you see,but limped ,it kept it calmer )
But still enjoyable.
We were on an asphalt  yard  ,gritty ,with the stone walls of the old school buildings on three sides ,the fourth led on to the sports field .
There would have been accidents .
We chose sides when I was at school by a dipping method.
Dip dip dip
My blue ship
Sailing on the water
Like a cup and saucer
Out goes you!

Eeny meeny Miney mo
Catch a piggy
By its toe
If it squeals,let it go
Eeny meeny miney mo
Out goes you!

Each word a girl was touched ,the last one “you” was out .
Picking sides.

Viktoria.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:38 GMT (UK) »
....."Out goes one, out goes two, out goes another one, and that one's you!"

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU