Author Topic: Goosey Goosey gander.  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Goosey Goosey gander.
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I don't remember any of our teachers showing us how to play physical outdoor heritage games.  I do remember occasions on sunny summer days when a group of us were bored, somebody would go indoors and ask their mother what we could do to pass the time..  Usually it was an older version of a game we already knew.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:54 GMT (UK) »
This would be the 1990’s Rena.
At school I don’t remember there ever being a teacher on yard duty .
I did every playtime, the infants,especially the four year olds in reception were too young to be out there on their own,the yard is a frightening
place ..The infants alone  had  about 100 children milling round .
Being an old building the little quad was ideal for just the reception class ,so up to thirty - thirty five children about the same age each knowing the other.
Fancy, the school I attended before passing the eleven plus must have had children from seven to fifteen ,so nine classes .
Say thirty to a class so at least 270
I don’t remember any trouble and there were children unsupervised on the yard for two playtimes and  the hour long dinner break ,though many went home for their mid day meal.
Were we better behaved?
Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 04:45 GMT (UK) »
This would be the 1990’s Rena.
At school I don’t remember there ever being a teacher on yard duty .
I did every playtime, the infants,especially the four year olds in reception were too young to be out there on their own,the yard is a frightening
place ..The infants alone  had  about 100 children milling round .
Being an old building the little quad was ideal for just the reception class ,so up to thirty - thirty five children about the same age each knowing the other.
Fancy, the school I attended before passing the eleven plus must have had children from seven to fifteen ,so nine classes .
Say thirty to a class so at least 270
I don’t remember any trouble and there were children unsupervised on the yard for two playtimes and  the hour long dinner break ,though many went home for their mid day meal.
Were we better behaved?
Viktoria.

The 1990s would explain it Viktoria.

Most schools in old towns were parish schools built circa 1890 and protected by cast iron railings and gates that could be locked.  The school I went to was built circa 1940 and consisted of three buildings; infant; senior then junior. There were no safety railings/fencing around the school buildings   I think only the infant school separated the boys from the girls and. I do recall a teacher supervised the infant girls at playtime, it was a good job otherwise I can imagine a few tots would have escaped..  I don't know about that senior school, but do recall that the junior school had a mixed boys and girls playground with one of the teachers in attendance ready to blow a whistle when anything untoward happened.   One time was the 1947 winter of the big freeze and the whistle was blown because we were all enjoying ourselves too much on the really long fast slide we'd made and was destroyed by the caretaker's heel..  Then another time was when we had a couple of lines of children facing each other holding (crossed) hands and we'd bounce other children over our arms from one end to the other end;  the whistle was blown on that happy exhilarating game too :-)

I don't quite know how the classes were arranged in that infant and junior school. I know I started school on my 5th birthday and it seemed halfway through a year the head teacher of the primary/infant school would appear at the classroom door and I'd be taken out of that class and put into the next class, where the pupils from my first class would join me at the start of the next term. The same thing happened in the junior school too; until the year metriculation age was changed and the 11+ was introduced, which had a different qualification age - That year I missed the metriculation cut off and stayed in the same junior class for two years.

There were 39 pupils in my grammar school class.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Most schools in old towns were parish schools built circa 1890 and protected by cast iron railings and gates that could be locked...

Ah yes, my primary school was like that. I have a memory of one lad putting his head through the railings and the fire brigade coming to get him out. Did this happen in every school/year group, or was it just us?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 15:48 GMT (UK) »
It happened at ours.
Remember The Head lifting him and turning him as the lads’s ears were stopping his head coming through, then getting him to tuck his chin in.

That was  the  lad the Head  bought shoes for ,so he could go to sit an exam.
The school hall was jam packed when that Head left .
Grown men who had the strap frequently were in tears, but they all said he was fair.
Most importantly he had made them realise it, so no resentment !
“Pop “Kendal.
Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Most schools in old towns were parish schools built circa 1890 and protected by cast iron railings and gates that could be locked...

Ah yes, my primary school was like that. I have a memory of one lad putting his head through the railings and the fire brigade coming to get him out. Did this happen in every school/year group, or was it just us?

Oh dear.

I once saw a group of fire brigade men turn a small boy upside down so he was facing the railing and they then gently pushed his head back through the railings. 

I've just seen Viktoria saw the same solution.