Author Topic: Wills  (Read 227 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Wills
« on: Saturday 13 February 21 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find out more about my great aunt.  She was adopted at 6 months old and I have recently found her details.  She died in 1978 in Maida Vale.  Whilst I have quite a fair bit of information about her early life, I cant find out much about her later years.

She married late in life (1952) and her husband passed not long after they married.  I believe I may have found bankruptcy details for him.

She didn't have any children and her adoptive parents were both dead by 1917 and there were no brothers or sisters.  To the best of my knowledge she had no contact with her birth family.

I was hoping to find a will but none seems to exist which surprises me.  I am just trying to find any details of anyone who may have known her. 

I dont know too much about dying intestate, but is there anyway I could find out what happened to her estate?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

KPM

Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Wills
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 21 21:52 GMT (UK) »
If she was adopted her birth family wouldn't have any claim on her estate. The Estate would have been distributed following the rules of intestacy working down until a living relative was found. Have you checked the Government site to see if probate or letters of administration were applied for by anyone? Who registered the death?

If there were no relatives her name would have been put on the Bona Vacantia list and if unclaimed after 30 years her estate would have passed to The Crown.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 21 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
Thank you for the info. Iím only interested in any details about who her estate may have gone to with a view to finding out more about her.

Iíve checked the will and probate on the national archives site and thereís nothing and not sure where else I can look.

Her death was registered to someone I believe may have been closely connected but Iíve drawn a blank with her too as she passed in the 1980s.

Thank you for your help.

KPM
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 21 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Her death was registered to someone I believe may have been closely connected but Iíve drawn a blank with her too as she passed in the 1980s.

Was the person who registered the death married?  If so did she have any children?  You may be able to trace on down the line from her.

Was there anything in the local paper when your great aunt died or the person who registered the death died?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 21 11:38 GMT (UK) »
If she was adopted her birth family wouldn't have any claim on her estate.

Would this apply in this case? The adoptive parents died in 1917, so the adoption was obviously before the law of 1926. So if it all happened more informally, might the birth parents have had a claim? Or might there have been some document drawn up in which they renounced this?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 21 12:01 GMT (UK) »
If she was adopted her birth family wouldn't have any claim on her estate.

Would this apply in this case? The adoptive parents died in 1917, so the adoption was obviously before the law of 1926. So if it all happened more informally, might the birth parents have had a claim? Or might there have been some document drawn up in which they renounced this?

That's an interesting point, as you say not formally adopted.

It may be that there wasn't any or much money to leave and what there was just paid for the funeral.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 21 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thank you for your replies.

What I really want to find is someone who either knew her or knew of her. Finding a will could have given me some sort of clue.

I have drawn a blank pretty much at every turn about her later life. Her name was Adrienne alice Ward nťe Canton (adoptive father) born underhay.  Her death was registered by Deborah Adrienne East. This is where I believe the connection or perhaps itís a coincidence that they share a name and Iím grasping at straws!!

Deborah doesnít appear to have had children ad passed in 1989 and her husband a few years later. There are a couple of trees online and Iím hoping from a reply to a message.

I have tried to find a newspaper record through newspaper archives but only found a mention of her before her marriage no record of death.

With regard to her adoption I believe her birth mother was a housekeeper to Mr Canton and he informally adopted her. If there was any informal paperwork I believe this would be destroyed as this had been a family secret for many years.

Thanks again for all your help and Iíll keep digging on.

KPM

Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent