Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 13th February  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 13th February
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 February 21 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Have got The Foundling on my Kindle, Caroline,  waiting for me to get round to reading it. I've downloaded so many books lately, I keep getting tempted.  ;)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 February 21 00:52 GMT (UK) »
The paperback is £2 from Amazon UK,  have checked Amazon CA, it's 19 Canadian dollars, not sure whether that's a bargain or not.  :D

Thank you, Roobarb, for checking.  Our local library has it, I will reserve it.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 February 21 06:55 GMT (UK) »
I shall look for it too.
Thanks Viktoria.
I had a tour of Lancaster Castle some years ago. It was very interesting.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 February 21 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Went for a walk earlier today which coincided with a lady who walks two  lovely Cockerpoos .
One has a habit of suddenly jumping and barking loudly at you.
Doesn’t bother me ,but does other people.
He jumped at a tradesman on the way back from the walk ,I instinctively did my staccato a a a a a ! NO .
He sat down ,so I talked very sweetly to him , his owner said,give him this treat , I said no, it is too soon ,he will think I am rewarding him for jumping .
I did stroke  him and spoke again softly.
His owner said she tended to shout at him and give him a treat ,so I said I think then he is getting mixed messages.
So we are going to walk along together ,The paths are about 4 m wide.
He doesn’t walk to heel but pulls her all over the place so we are dodging
away most of the time ,but I apologised for going into dog owner mode .
She said though how she could see how he responded to the sharp aaaaa,and was satisfied with a soft talking to.
She is a pleasant person and it will be nice ,I wouldn’t mind having him on the lead , he needs training to walk nicely , she has back trouble and a pulling dog is no good for her.We will see, he has lovely trusting brown eyes , something has scared him in the past.

Flash Harry has his potato growing kit and is thrilled the horse is nearby.
Decision time this week after going to the Vets’  at Newmarket.
Don’t know what they will tell FH , hope the horse pulls through.

Hope everyone is well , nice mild day today, what a change.
Tesco order came all wiped down and in the isolation cupboard except fridge stuff in a bag in the fridge.

Hope Boris does not end lockdown too soon ,the holiday will mean lots of
people being selfish and then we could be in for another long haul .

Cheerio, and take care.
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 15 February 21 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I’m just catching up with some of the diary threads - I have been preoccupied over the past couple of days, and nothing of note to report anyway.  ;)

Everyone still seems to be keeping fairly sane despite everything .... Viktoria, I am hoping for the best for the lovely horse. If you were to walk the cockerpoo regularly and do some training along the way, it would give you your “doggy fix” and help the lady owner. It would be a win win.  :) Cockerpoos are the cutest little things.

I hope everyone is well.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 07:22 GMT (UK) »
A bit of company and doggy training on your walks will be a big help I think Viktoria.
Tale of the horse is really sad.

Judging by the people around yesterday it seems likely we have been swamped by half term holidays again, so the Covid figures will be interesting to watch again no doubt.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Picked up my phone in the evening and realised that I'd had the volume turned down.

Noticed that I'd had a text from my doc's surgery. I now have an appointment for my first dose of vaccine.   :) :)
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Oh that is good, glad you did not miss the message.

Viktoria.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh that is good, glad you did not miss the message.

Viktoria.

The link they sent, after checking I was who I claimed, gave me a list of appointment times. I took the first one - 9:00 on Saturday morning. The alarm is already primed.

I know enough to present myself with jacket off and bare arms ready. Whichever arm suits them, I don't care!   :) :)
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.