Author Topic: Guernsey - Thomas BISHOP and Jane CURNOW  (Read 7805 times)

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey - Thomas BISHOP and Jane CURNOW
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 21 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Where married: Guernsey
To whom married: Thomas Bishop

Offline susanbrandon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 September 22 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn
I have been researching Alice James Bishop who was born in Guernsey in about 1855 to Jane Curnow and Thomas Bishop. I have a printout of Alice's death record which gives her mother as Jane Bishop and birthplace as Guernsey. I also have Jane Bishop's death record which gives her mother's name as Mary Curnow and that Jane married a Thomas Bishop in Guernsey.
Alice James Bishop married Thomas Scott Poole in 1874 in Balclutha.

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 February 24 04:07 GMT (UK) »
HI Susan

It doesn't look as if I ever replied to you. I am very sorry.

I've been poking around Rootschat looking at previous posts and replies and I found you. I'm in the process of trying to put my family story together in some sort of cohesive something-or-rather!

It came as quite a shock to discover that Thomas made it to NZ and is buried somewhere in Balclutha.  I made contact with a person connected to the genealogy club (I think) to try and find out more with regards to cemetery records as the original records were lost in a fire after Jane's death in 1911. Unfortunately she never got back to me.

You may know where Jane is buried and that may lead us to Thomas and their son Valdimer's plots. I have Thomas dying around 1877 based on Valdimer's death where it was stated that his father had died about 30 years earlier.

It was only a DNA test that found the connection to a second family for Thomas.

I live in Te Awamutu

Robyn

Offline susanbrandon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robyn
I know from Jane Bishop's death certificate that she is buried in the old Balclutha Cemetary. There is a headstone there with just the name Bishop on it so perhaps some of the family members are buried there.
I was grateful to learn more about Thomas Bishop and his first marriage which explained a few things i was uncertain about.

The Family Search website has a birth certificate for Emma Jane Bishop born 02 Jan 1854 to Thomas Bishop and Jane Currow in Saint Andrews, Guernsey, Channel Islands. I have found no other records for the family in Guernsey.

Thomas and Jane are my husband Mike's great great grandparents.
Mike and I are from Wellington but have lived in Tasmania for 35 years now.

Kind regards
Sue