Author Topic: Bamburgh scandal 1790 HALL+BROWN=Matilda BROWN m DOUGLAS  (Read 222 times)

Offline Alan J Hall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bamburgh scandal 1790 HALL+BROWN=Matilda BROWN m DOUGLAS
« on: Sunday 14 February 21 09:39 GMT (UK) »
cAn you help please? - Briefly my ancestors came from Northumberland to South Australia.  Unlike other colonies South Australia was actually a company - enough of the history side of things.  In the custody of a family ancestor was an oil painting of George HALL said to be the Constable of the (Bamburgh) Castle. I emailed the Castle almost about 15 years ago - no such records of anyone called George HALL as the Constable. Email referred off to a research who was about the do the same response . .  two days later turned over some papers and there was George the Constable ! ! ! C 1790. The outcome was a book       Bamburgh "Ghosts' - voices from the 18th Century            mostly about how George 'managed' the castle as our modern interpretation of a Constable greatly differs from then as more of a Chief Executive Office or the like.  Things went nice till about 1790 when Eleanor BROWN turned up on the steps of the Castle and very heavily pregnant. The father turned out to be Jonathan HALL the Constable's son - they had to atone for their sins in the local St Aiden Church.  Matilda BROWN was born and that now creates an extremely complex genea family tree project because Matilda marries DOUGLAS/DOUGLASS - as ALL of her three children all name children as either Matilda Hall DOUGLAS(S) or Jonathan Hall DOUGLAS(S).  This appears to have continued in several generations up to the late 1900's. Would be happy to share further details.  Standard offer I have if there anything down under please ask - Alan VK3HV